Options

Are there really people who don't prepare for interviews?

Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
For those of you who interview people, are there really people who don't prepare at all? Several sources I've read recently mention that simply preparing at all puts you at a significant advantage over a lot of people, but I just can't imagine anyone going in completely unprepared for an interview for a job that person actually wants. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you mean by prepare? I don't usually cram a bunch of info or practice canned responses if thats what you mean. I just roll with it. I do some research on the company and read the job description so I can have my questions for them prepared. So maybe I'd fall into that category.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pratt2 wrote: »
    For those of you who interview people, are there really people who don't prepare at all? Several sources I've read recently mention that simply preparing at all puts you at a significant advantage over a lot of people, but I just can't imagine anyone going in completely unprepared for an interview for a job that person actually wants. Thoughts?

I don’t hire or interview people, but yes there quite a few candidates that don’t do their research. You should know the bare minimum about the company:
    Research Before Your Interview - Boston College

When you go for an interview, you should absolutely know: the company, its products, its problems, its opportunities and its competitors.
    As you research, keep this question in mind:

What are the skills and personality characteristics that this job demands and this organization values, and how does your experience and background demonstrate those skills and traits?
    Before your interview, you should know the following (bare minimum):

1. What are this organization's products and/or services? (Even nonprofit organizations serve people through education, lobbying efforts, publications, etc.)

2. What direction has the organization taken within the past one to two years, and what might be expected in the near future?

3. What does this organization value? Obviously, for-profit organizations value profit. But most organizations are driven by other values, as well - social conformity; innovation; teamwork; efficiency; the professional development of its employees; public service. You should search for: a) what the organization states about its values, and b) what they really are. The two are not always in agreement.

4. If you will be working in a division of the organization, what is the role of that division, and how does it relate to the parent organization?
    Hoovers is a good site to research the company in addition to the company’s own website.

Hoovers | Business solutions from Hoovers

This site mentions some things to know about the company or organization before the interview.

Questions to ask employers during interviews | Career Services | Virginia Tech

Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Used to do it all the time for lower end jobs, it was fine. A pleasant, friendly and talkative manner has gotten me alot further than a bunch of prepared responses to pointless questions.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I don’t hire or interview people, but yes there quite a few candidates that don’t do their research. You should know the bare minimum about the company:
    Research Before Your Interview - Boston College

When you go for an interview, you should absolutely know: the company, its products, its problems, its opportunities and its competitors.
    As you research, keep this question in mind:

+1.

Key thing a lot of people forget here. Especially considering it's a popular 1st question. If you prepare at all.....prepare for this.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Absolutely imperative. My company provides healthcare related services. When I ask "what do you know about our company" I got everything from "you are IT consultants" to "are you an accounting firm?"

In 2011 this is inexcusable.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to get good sleep, eat a good breakfast, and look sharp. That's the most I prepare. If I can't think fast enough for an interview then I feel like I won't think fast on the job. That's just me though every one is different and has better ways of doing things.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    +1
    That's what I do too...

What do you mean by prepare? I don't usually cram a bunch of info or practice canned responses if thats what you mean. I just roll with it. I do some research on the company and read the job description so I can have my questions for them prepared. So maybe I'd fall into that category.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    +1

Well it basically depends on who you are on the inside that's shows on the outside to the world . Some ppl can carry off things in the interview and convince the members of the close door that they are right even when at times they may be wrong , for this you need confidence in your attitude over their such that they get overwhelmed by your presence and charisma . And theirs another category of people who know it but get overwhelmed by the whole scenario , in such cases may be doing some home work may get their confidence a little high !
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Exactly. Canned ham is nasty.

I learn as much about the company as possible. That is all. I never go in telling them someone I am not. I want to be organic for lack of a better term. If I don't know something I won't bring it up. If I am light on something I will mention I do it, but we don't come across that type of incident, problem, configuration, whatever, very often. That is my tactiful way of letting them know I have room to improve there.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Heck, I don't even wash or shave as part of my interview prep. You should be thankful I'm on the internet and not sat next to you

More seriously, I can believe it. At the place I used to work we opened up a position for a 6 month work placement for a bachelors level student, and I had some great responses in interviews;

Me: So, what do you know about XXXXX?
    Student: You do broadband.
    Me: Well, yes, but what do you know about this business unit.
    Student: Dunno, computers and stuff. Don't you fix printers?
    Me: Thanks (wishing said person would return to the bottom of the pond)
    We were a hosting company.

I too hate canned responses, but if you can't be bothered to read up a little bit about the position you are applying for, then I'm not going to spend my valuable time and effort on you.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bertieb wrote: »
    Heck, I don't even wash or shave as part of my interview prep. You should be thankful I'm on the internet and not sat next to you

More seriously, I can believe it. At the place I used to work we opened up a position for a 6 month work placement for a bachelors level student, and I had some great responses in interviews;

I too hate canned responses, but if you can't be bothered to read up a little bit about the position you are applying for, then I'm not going to spend my valuable time and effort on you.

No question about it!
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses all. I just walked in the door from a final round interview for which I did prepare. Nothing canned except maybe the "what do you know about our company" question. I realize that sounding like Dilbert is bad. On a scale of 1-10 from worst to best interview ever it was a 7 tops. Not what I'd hoped. I caught myself looking at the table and saying "uhh" in addition to the interview being scheduled as an hour and a half but only taking 60min. General idea is that I prepared but didn't feel prepared in the interview if that makes any sense. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Same here. Go in looking good with an idea of what the company does and what my role will be. I know some people who swear by practicing (and I've done some in school) but I don't usually write out answers ahead of time.

In college, one of my assignments for a speech class was to prepare an interview. I wrote up an introduction, selected 3 questions that would be asked and prepared answers for them. Then a random 4th question was given (from a list of 25 or so, so I had an idea but never really considered an answer to each one) and my 4th question was my best answer of all. Sometimes when you are under pressure, good things happen. But you certainly don't want to sound like a robot.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    I usually just have a general idea of what the company does. Which I pull from their webpage. That's pretty much.

It also depends on the role you're going in for. Obviously the higher up the food chain you are, the greater knowledge of the company your interviewing you should have.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    Me... I generally don't prepare for interviews either. When I go in for a job interview, I am already pretty confident in my ability to perform the tasks that are required of me about the job.

I generally spend maybe 5 minutes looking at the company website to see what it is they do. But other than that, nope. And it works out great really for me, I'm usually extremely comfortable with people in general so I do well at interviews. And I don't study because there is no need for me to bullsh*t an interview by saying I know something I dont. I am not afraid to say I don't have experience with XYZ product.
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »

icon_lol.gif

I, too, do a thorough read on the company's history, know who the owner and how the company was formed.