Options

What do you think about unpaid internship?

certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
Have you done any unpaid internship? What are the benefits and pitfalls? Is it good to take an unpaid internship just for experience or exposure? What if the internship deals with skills pertaining to certification you are pursuing (say MCTS, CISCO, etc.)

Comments

• Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Grab any exp you can that would align with your cert path.

Hands on exp is always best!!
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    An unpaid internship is better than no internship.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jarhead2011Jarhead2011 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree that any internship is better than none even if its unpaid, but said depends what responsibilities you also have, can't actually take an unpaid internship when you have to take care of your wife and kid(s) etc.

But especially today I think getting more hands on experience anywhere is valuable. Only Certs won't necessary get you a job.
    "Getting information off the internet is like drinking water from a fire hydrant" - Michell Kapor
    2013/2014 Certifications
    CCNA R&S Project Management SQL 2008/2012
    Currently Reading: Network Warrior 2nd Ed.

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    its valuable exposure to the field. also, you might be able to get college credit if it applies to you.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    An unpaid internship is better than no internship.

+1

I just started a internship/volunteer position and it's a great learning experience. Your pay is the experience and knowledge you get will during the internship at the company or organization. Anything you can do to add to your resume is a good thing in my opinion. Not everyone does an internship, so this gives you an edge over other job applicants applying for the same job. They might have the same degree and certs that you might have, so this would help make you stand out. Also, after it’s over and you perform and did a good job you can ask for a letter of reference and you could use them for a reference.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    can't actually take an unpaid internship when you have to take care of your wife and kid(s) etc.

Or if your parent's aren't paying for your school.

I would exhaust all options that include a paycheck+experience first.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    zerogameszerogames Banned Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    they could take an advantage of u
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    zerogames wrote: »

They could even in a regular employment situation.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zerogames wrote: »
    If there is no benefit to you, then just stop showing up, it's not like they are paying you anyway. An unpaid internship should go two ways; the employer gets free labor, the intern gets experience.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1

I just started a internship/volunteer position and it's a great learning experience. Your pay is the experience and knowledge you get will during the internship at the company or organization. Anything you can do to add to your resume is a good thing in my opinion. Not everyone does an internship, so this gives you an edge over other job applicants applying for the same job. They might have the same degree and certs that you might have, so this would help make you stand out. Also, after it’s over and you perform and did a good job you can ask for a letter of reference and you could use them for a reference.

Agreed!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    An internship (paid or unpaid) is something a student can use to set themselves apart from all the other new grads when they hit the real world job market. We usually offer our interns jobs when they graduate

And internships are one of the things our recruiters look for when doing campus recruiting for graduating seniors.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    You almost have to do it with you don't have any other opportunities because these "entry-level" positions still state 2+ years of experience.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Internships are an awesome way to get experience and to get your foot in the door. I know of a number of people who had an internship during college or after high school. Many companies had a nice position waiting for them after graduation. Those that did not get a job received not only technical skills but also corporate experience. In the end experience and capability are what matter not certs.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I would suggest an internship to anyone going through college. Great experience and can help put you ahead of others when you graduate.
  • Options
    Heero wrote: »
    I would suggest an internship to anyone going through college. Great experience and can help put you ahead of others when you graduate.
    thumbs up to this.
    Last monday i emailed the IT Director about any volunteer positions. i just met with him a couple hours ago and was offered a support spot through work study. pay is $7.25 but the experience is priceless. My first day is tomorrow and im going to be helping the replacement of switches all across campus! definitely better than what i expected.

its a community college and ive been accepted into a bachelors program at another college in brooklyn. Im not even in the 2 year networking program but i guess my initiative along with certifications put me ahead of the pack. So make sure to email directors or managers and they will see your initiative and help you out.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    pay is $7.25 but the experience is priceless..

Anything to at least cover your gas and lunch is great. :D
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    thumbs up to this.
    Last monday i emailed the IT Director about any volunteer positions. i just met with him a couple hours ago and was offered a support spot through work study. pay is $7.25 but the experience is priceless. My first day is tomorrow and im going to be helping the replacement of switches all across campus! definitely better than what i expected.

its a community college and ive been accepted into a bachelors program at another college in brooklyn. Im not even in the 2 year networking program but i guess my initiative along with certifications put me ahead of the pack. So make sure to email directors or managers and they will see your initiative and help you out.

Sounds awesome man! You never know until you ask I guess. Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thumbs up to this.

Do your best and that experience will be golden, and it's even better since it's a paid position. I've worked in higher ed and I can tell you that tons of college and university IT employees start out as student techs, myself included. The positions I've seen former techs in has been diverse, ranging from helpdesk, systems and network admins, DBAs, web programmers, and various management positions.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    When I graduated on 04, I had an intern and they paid me $16/hr.

I guess if you want that experience then go for it. However, its better to get paid minimum than nothing at all.
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Anything to at least cover your gas and lunch is great. :D
    yea i mean its right at school so thats awesome. also, its new york city so by gas, you mean train fare. and i prefer it well over driving. I get a nice 1hr study session each way every day.

and yes this is my secret method to graduate and then go into operations maybe. but for now im open to be a support slave. im certain everyone at this CC is just slacking, not getting certs or exp and hoping for a high paying level4 engineer job after graduation. cant wait to see their faces. maybe the IT Manager saw I wasn't like those fools. anyways thanks guys and sorry for the thread jack.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    edzyedzy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thumbs up to this.

Congrats icon_cheers.gif I've been looking for internships all over NYC and haven't struck gold yet.
  • Options
    thumbs up to this.

Sounds awesome congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    edzy wrote: »
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif I've been looking for internships all over NYC and haven't struck gold yet.
    i saw plenty of positions on internships.com . maybe you should check it out.
    plenty are noncredit requiring as well. paid and unpaid.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I arranged an internship just to get experience and hopefully a good recommendation letter from a supervisor. I was offered a job within 2 weeks. Remember that a significant part of job hunting is networking within your field.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    Vogon Poet wrote: »
    I arranged an internship just to get experience and hopefully a good recommendation letter from a supervisor. I was offered a job within 2 weeks. Remember that a significant part of job hunting is networking within your field.

Yep, networking is vital :)