What IT related organizations would you join?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
What IT related organizations would you join? I really want to get a help desk job. However, my ultimate goal is to work in some faucet of Information Technology security. I keep seeing myself as a Network/System Administrator. I previously had a membership ACM- Associate for Computer Machinery and found it to be ok for the student price, however; I don’t see the value in the professional price. What are some other good organizations to join?

I made a small list that I would find it helpful for people to weigh in on.

About HDI | The IT Service & Technical Support Community

ISSA
General Membership
$95.00/year, plus chapter dues (if applicable)
Professionals who have as their primary responsibility information systems security in the private or public sector, or professionals who supply information systems security consulting services to the private or public sector; or IS Auditors, or IS professionals who have as one of their primary responsibilities information systems security in the private or public sector; Educators, attorneys and law enforcement officers having a vested interest in information security; or Professionals with primary responsibility for marketing or supplying security equipment or products. All membership dues are non-refundable.
Multi-year Discounted Memberships for General Members are as follows:
• 2-Year Membership - $185, plus 2 years of chapter dues
• 3-Year Membership - $270, plus 3 years of chapter dues
• 5-Year Membership - $435, plus 5 years of chapter dues

https://www.issa.org/page/?p=Membership_Types_10

Can I join ISSA, even though I’m finished with school, but looking for an IT job?

Main Page - OWASP

I get the feeling they mostly cover smart phone applicati0on security. A plus is that they’re free and you don't have to pay membership dues.

DC612 - Minneaplis Defcon 612 Group

Sounds like a cool security group in mn, but the topics they cover are really advanced.
Are any of these any good to join?
Check out the local User Groups.
How about ToastMasters? I thought about doing this….My problem is I work nights and it might be kinda hard to make it to the meetings.

Toastmasters International - Home

Anyone have any thoughts on or belong to these organizations?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm a very happy ISSA member. Free lunch at the meetings as well as training classes that our members teach time to time. The best thing is the wonderful group of members we have.
  • BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ISACA or SAGE, maybe ACM.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm in AITP (Associaton of IT Professionals) as a student at large. There is almost no professional activity in my area so it's of almost no use to me.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm in AITP (Associaton of IT Professionals) as a student at large. There is almost no professional activity in my area so it's of almost no use to me.

Same here...when I was in school last year, great experience I gained from being involved with themicon_cheers.gif. Also I was in ACM
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am a "silver member" of HDI, but i only went to one meeting
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I am currently a member of ISACA, HDI, and ITSMf. All pretty good organizations. Your main reason for wanting to join them will be for networking with professionals in the field(s) you are in or want to be in.

For security, OWASP, ISSA, and Infragard are good ones to join.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Toastmasters, ISACA, Infragard, OWASP, ISSA, and DC225. The DefCon groups vary significantly by location, but if they'll tolerate a newbie, definitely attend as much as possible. We're setting up a hackerspace in a barn this weekend icon_cool.gif