Options

IT jobs in Southern Californai?

Is it just me, or are there very few tech types jobs in SoCal these days? I think I've had 3 interviews in the last five months, and have missed out on being picked for reasons I'll never know.

Does anyone know companies in OC that are hiring for techs? Any other cities in the US definitely hiring for techs?

Been unemployed for 5 months now, hoping it won't be six.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry I cant help with jobs in the US but I hope you are working away at your certs while looking for work. Use the downtime to get those certs and ramp up the knowledge for whatever IT field you are aiming for. Just me 2 cents and good luck with the hunt! It can take a while sometimes, took me 6 months to find me first IT job.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps not in OC, but Corona, CA [NSWC] actually have 3 positions available via Booz Allen Hamilton. In addition, a software company in Redlands, CA is actually looking for a PC Technician and a Security Analyst [CISSP holder].
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    That's good to know. Unfortunately, I'm not CISS qualled. What is the company in Redlands?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    What did you do for 5 months while being jobless?
  • Options
    You mean what am I still doing since I am still jobless?

I've got my own repair business, so I work that, repairing computers and building custom ones. I'm also rereading the 70-680 MCITP book, but am having a lot of difficulty with that exam because I don't have a PC I can do a lab with, nor do I know what I would use the lab for if I had one.

How are Security and Server exams from Comptia? Are they useful? Would having Server+ be good on my resume since I have no hands on server experience?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Steer away from compTIA. You already have the A+ and N+, two entry-level certs are enough, move on to Microsoft (MCTS/MCP) or Cisco (CCENT/CCNA).
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck with your IT job search!! icon_thumright.gif

It took me several months before I landed my first IT job.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    What are the Cisco exams all about? Are they things like Network and hardware or operating systems?
  • Options
    What are the Cisco exams all about? Are they things like Network and hardware or operating systems?

Cisco exams are about networking :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Are they much more difficult or more expensive than the Net+ exam? Part of my problem is I don't know the career path I want to go down yet, so finding a certification to advance me down that path is difficult.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm also rereading the 70-680 MCITP book, but am having a lot of difficulty with that exam because I don't have a PC I can do a lab with, nor do I know what I would use the lab for if I had one.
    Every 70-680 study guide available has labs, so if you had a PC to lab with, you could start there. But since you don't have a lab PC, you can do some of the free online labs, for example these:
    Windows 7 Virtual Labs
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Are they much more difficult or more expensive than the Net+ exam? Part of my problem is I don't know the career path I want to go down yet, so finding a certification to advance me down that path is difficult.

The CompTIA exams are entry-level and are used to build a solid foundation in IT but going after Microsoft or Cisco exams are much more difficult and challenging due to the scope of knowledge needed to learn across a vast amount of topics. Cisco exams are definitely on another level but what job role are you looking to work in?

I'm currently working as a PC Tech/Desktop support/Help Desk IT support role currently and I'm working towards a Systems/Network Admin. or Engineer so it helped me decide my certification path. I would start with the CompTIA exams to get started and provide a solid start to my IT career then specialize by moving forward into Microsoft and Cisco for administration and networking. I hope this helps you in gaining information and a better idea on your certification path for your IT career. icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    What are some jobs I can hope to get with entry level certs and then work my way up into IT management?
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    What are some jobs I can hope to get with entry level certs and then work my way up into IT management?

tier1 help desk or probably NOC.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    LuckyGreenFrogLuckyGreenFrog Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you registered with any of the major temp agencies?

Tek-system and Robert Half usually have short gigs that can help you get longer ones.
  • Options
    Ya, I have registered with both, nothing seems to pan out here in Socal
  • Options
    telco1telco1 Banned Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it just me, or are there very few tech types jobs in SoCal these days? I think I've had 3 interviews in the last five months, and have missed out on being picked for reasons I'll never know.

Does anyone know companies in OC that are hiring for techs? Any other cities in the US definitely hiring for techs?

Been unemployed for 5 months now, hoping it won't be six.

I live in Socal. I live about 30 minutes north of hollywood. Ive been out of work for nearly two years now. IT is completly dead in southern california. there are very few IT/network jobs in socal nowadays.
    most companies just dont want to hire an in house network guy, or even an in house IT guy. they think its a waste of money and normally outsource alot of work anyways. I dont measn to sound pessimistic but my advice would be to move out of Socal or find a different career. good luck though.
  • Options
    myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My company is hiring, but it's mainly in the central coast. There is like one position in the Ventura area, but it's not really too much IT but an IT person could do the job.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @telco1

you dont necessarily have to move out of SoCal. But someone told me that a software company based in Redlands is still looking for the following (and its recommended qualifications):

PC Tech(s)
    -Associates or Bachelors
    -A+

InfoSec Analyst [has been available sine 2008!]
    -CISSP
    -Bachelors
    -US Citizen

Network Admin
    -Cisco and Foundry
    -VoIP
    -Telecom
    -3 years experience as Network Admin
    -Look, no Cisco cerification requirement!!! lol

Database Admin
    -SQL
    -Linux
    -Oracle

Benefits:
    -Medical, no premium
    -Dental, no premium
    -Vision, $1.07/mo
    -Profit Sharing (deposited to your 401k account, because the owner encourages the employees to save for their retirement. This typically 3% of your annual salary)

Company is debt free, not a single layoff for the last 35+ years. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hey there,

I work in Orange County (Anaheim) and got my current position by contracting through Insight Global. I know they're still hiring because we still need contractors for our service desk and desktop support team. Google Insight Global Irvine branch.

Also the Capital Group is hiring like no other in Irvine. I get calls from them ALLLL the time for help desk and system admin jobs.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com