Options

Escaped from the helpdesk!

Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, after a year or so sludging away on 1st level support I appear to have escaped from the helpdesk! I have gotten a new job as a "IT Technical Support Engineer", probably a rather grand title for just a IT support role but I am determined to milk it for all its worth ;)

Basically I have gotten a support role for a very small company - with a mixture of external support for our customers, internal IT support and a load of different IT support stuff, such as project work, dealing with our server backup, general administration etc. The main thing is that I won't have to deal with the tyranny of being bombarded by 70-100 odd telephone calls a day and instead will be the guy returning calls other people have initially answered :) Also I am really excited by the prospect of being able to develop my IT skills, as opposed to just being a clog in a big machine.

I have been reading these forums for a few months now and you guys have been very informative and inspirational in my fledging IT career. So I thought I would post to spread the good news.

Also I'm very determined to make as good as an impression as possible for my new job - if you guys have any suggestions as how to do this then I would be most grateful.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on The GREAT Escape!! icon_cheers.gif
    Danny boy wrote: »
    Also I'm very determined to make as good as an impression as possible for my new job - if you guys have any suggestions as how to do this then I would be most grateful.
    Don't get so excited that you forget to wear pants to your first day on the new job. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats on moving up!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations on The GREAT Escape!! icon_cheers.gif

Don't get so excited that you forget to wear pants to your first day on the new job. icon_lol.gif

Yea, don't want them to promote you then give you a mean *side eye* the next week...lol icon_lol.gif

Congrats nonethless!!!!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice going man! It's a great feeling!

70-100 calls is insanity!

I think the most I answered in a day was 69. On average 20 when I was in tier 1.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man. The future only looks brighter from here :)
  • Options
    Danny boyDanny boy Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words guys, and yes I will try to turn up to work fully clothed ;)
    N2IT wrote: »
    Nice going man! It's a great feeling!

70-100 calls is insanity!

I think the most I answered in a day was 69. On average 20 when I was in tier 1.

Yeah tell me about it! The problem was due to cutbacks they got rid of a load of staff and took on much more work. I'm glad to have left!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Good for you.
  • Options
    NadzNadz Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mate!
    Some time soon, you may want to have a look at the ITIL v3. And probably go for the Foundation Certification to help give your career that extra boost to the next level. It has made a hell of a difference to a lot of people I know.

Good Luck!
    Nadz
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Congrats, just stay humble and people will respond positively to you. Really happy for you. I use to get about 80 calls a day when I was doing Tier 1 support. I hated it.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats, just stay humble and people will respond positively to you. Really happy for you. I use to get about 80 calls a day when I was doing Tier 1 support. I hated it.

80 calls?

WOW!

I was lucky, I worked 7 hour days from home and only got 20 calls on average. I usually handled a lot more complex issues though, I rarely did resets etc.

I bet you are glad to have those days over with.