Options

Contemplating on WGU MS ISA [but 3 classes away from MA in Management]

518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm actually 3 classes away from receiving my Masters in Management [thank you Lockheed Martin]. I stopped attending in late 2007 when I went to USAF tech school. Came back in 2008 and have not been motivated enough to finish. Now that I'm thinking about finishing up what I had started, I came upon this forum and...the WGU.

Those 3 classes left to complete my MA in Management degree will cost me $5,848 [$731 each credit]. My current employer sponsors up to $3,000 per year for tuition expenses. The MS ISA from WGU costs $11,560 for 2 years [4 terms]. It seems like MS ISA is not only less expensive, it would also add more value/knowledge than completing my MA in Management.

Reason I want, perhaps need, to attend MS ISA is due to my current responsibilities as an IAO. Not only I'm working on the MS degree, it will also assist me with IA training and obtaining my certs at the same time.

I basically started my career with Lockheed Martin as a Jr. Tech in 2000, but left in 2008. I still consider myself relatively new in security, my AFSC school was 2E2X1. I was also a reservist with the Air National Guard from 2006-2010 as a Network Infrastructure Tech.

Having said all those non-sense above, I'm still unsure if I can make it through MSISA, it may not be ideal for a security n0ob like myself. Perhaps someone can chime, I may be missing something to consider before I decide.

Thank you.

PS
The IAM also asked me which security boot-camp I would like to attend. I might complete the GSEC boot-camp/cert before I request the company for tuition reimbursement.

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just a thought, but if they are paying for it, I would boot camp a cert that will shorten the time (and cost) of the MSIA (such as CEH and CHFI.) It also gives you better coverage throughout 8570, if you were to change roles.

I am just starting the MSIA (still can't get in touch with my advisor though.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I'm somewhat of a security n00b also but have decided to start my MS:ISA in May of this year.

My suggestion would be to give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you decide you can't cut it and go finish your degree in management.
  • Options
    518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    I'm somewhat of a security n00b also but have decided to start my MS:ISA in May of this year.

My suggestion would be to give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you decide you can't cut it and go finish your degree in management.

sounds like a plan :D
    colemic wrote: »
    Just a thought, but if they are paying for it, I would boot camp a cert that will shorten the time (and cost) of the MSIA (such as CEH and CHFI.) It also gives you better coverage throughout 8570, if you were to change roles.

I am just starting the MSIA (still can't get in touch with my advisor though.)

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be taking that route. There might a boot-camp in June for CEH, I might enroll on that one.

Thanks again fellas.