Safari Books Online

ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
Does anyone use Safari Books Online ?

They have tons of videos/books for technology stuff....in fact it would have saved me like 600 bucks as they have Shon Harris's video course on there for CISSP.

I am signing up for the (book package) like 22bucks/month at the very least I might swing for the 44/with videos, but I have to poke around to see if it will yield ROI.

Anyway, I think this is a great resource and I wanted to post here to make sure others are aware of this option.
CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA

Comments

• wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    I have an account through my employer. I love using it. I definitely save some money on books for topics I only really want to read once or read only one chapter.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I have a membership at IEEE Computer Society which includes access to around 600 selections from Safari Books. There's way more on the list that interest me than I will ever have time to read. The membership also includes access to books 24x7 and element k like the ACM.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used them for quite a while before finding out that I get access to Books 24/7 through work. Google for promo codes. When I signed up, I got something like 25% off a month, good for a whole year.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love mine. I surf it on my Kindle and PC. It has really brought down my purchase of IT related books.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had it before my work started to pay for it and I think its worth it. I have over 130 books related to security alone saved in my favorites. Plus the CISSP and SSCP vids are well worth the price especially when work is paying for it.
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I've used mine to read on my HTC phone and so far it's great! I can't wait to get a Kindle to really start using my subscription on the go!
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Can you read safari books on Kindle?

Would be cheaper if I subscribe to safari and buy the token then download the book?
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thehourman wrote: »
    Can you read safari books on Kindle?
    There was an issue with the 3rd Gen 6" Kindle (or at least my WiFI version) -- but it was fixed on the Safari side last time I tried it. I haven't tried it on my DX.

Safari also works great on my noname 10" Android Tablet -- and the 2.1 Android update also fixed the Android Kindle issues I was having.
    thehourman wrote: »
    Would be cheaper if I subscribe to safari and buy the token then download the book?
    Depends on the books. I got the $99 R&S CCIE Practice Labs for something like 5 tokens (which is what I think I get each month with my $30 a month unlimited account) -- which was a great deal. And I've seen books that wanted an outrageous number of tokens -- and it would have been cheaper (unless you had lots of expiring tokens to get rid of) to buy the overpriced eBook directly on the Cisco Press website.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mikej412 wrote: »
    There was an issue with the 3rd Gen 6" Kindle (or at least my WiFI version) -- but it was fixed on the Safari side last time I tried it. I haven't tried it on my DX.

Safari also works great on my noname 10" Android Tablet -- and the 2.1 Android update also fixed the Android Kindle issues I was having.

Depends on the books. I got the $99 R&S CCIE Practice Labs for something like 5 tokens (which is what I think I get each month with my $30 a month unlimited account) -- which was a great deal. And I've seen books that wanted an outrageous number of tokens -- and it would have been cheaper (unless you had lots of expiring tokens to get rid of) to buy the overpriced eBook directly on the Cisco Press website.
    I am a bit confuse about buying books. According to their FAQ, the books you buy is in PDF, but didn't mention if it DRM.
    I am planning to get the 10-slots subscription for $22/month, would I be able to buy the entire book? Or it got to be chapter by chapter with 10-slot subscription.

Or should I just stick on buying ebooks off Cisco press, and Amazon. I read one book a month.

I have the DX, but the internet is slow, so I might use my phone instead.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use it through UMUC, they have student library access for Safari BOL and Books 24x7, among others. I do something else to get it work on my Kindle, but I can't speak of it. ;)
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro