Options

VMWare Workstation on XP(SP3) host Stalling/Freezing Issues

certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
Do any one of you run VMWare workstation or other Virtualization software on XP and notice issues of stalling? I have been using VMWare Workstation on Win 7 and XP and notice intermittent stalling (for ~ 3 to 5 minutes) when any virtual gues os is powered on and running. This happens every few minutes without any spike in CPU, RAM, Disk usage. In fact the CPU and RAM usage is barely into teens and usually only around 2%. When not running any VM, there is no freezing.

No. This has nothing to do with lower power machine or bad install. There is no other problems except for the freezing/stalling. Researching the issue on VMWare site seems to indicate issue with HPET (High Precision Event Timer) or DCP latency issues. I tired using the new parameter in the vmx file
host.useFastclock = "FALSE"

and disbling HPET in the XP Device Manager only lowered the freezing/stalling but didn't completely eliminate it. My BIOS doesn't have option to turn off HPET. With these settings it certainly reduced the frequency of stalling/freezing.

An MS KB article lists a boo.ini option for turning off HPET but it doesn't help.