Options

need to build a lab

whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
looking to build a system strictly for running a virtual network to train for the mcitp. also wanting to do the exchange admin test.

i am wondering would a quad core with 6gb of ram be enough to get started?

any suggestions please.

thank
WGU BS: IT-Security
In Progress: C170, C246
To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'd get by with kind of RAM for the MCITP: EA/SA tests, but for the Exchange 2010 tests I'd chuck in some more RAM. How much RAM can your mobo take? Max it out if you have some spare cash.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also make sure you can run Hyper-V with your processor
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    whotime wrote: »
    looking to build a system strictly for running a virtual network to train for the mcitp. also wanting to do the exchange admin test.

i am wondering would a quad core with 6gb of ram be enough to get started?

any suggestions please.

thank

All the suggestions for building or buying a workstation/server apply here:

A multi-core processor (at least core 2 duo)

At least 4GB. But that is minimum. Many motherboards support 16GB or more now.

To run 64 bit guests and Hyper-V, you would need 64 bit processor supporting virtualization extensions VT-X, AMD-V. Without those you won't be able to run, any 64-bit guests on VMWare though you can run 32-bit guests. Remember Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only.
  • Options
    i can run virtual box for shure as i run it now.

so you say give each virtual machine its own HD? or give it a piece of the HD?

the system i am looking at will have 1tb in it should i get a couple 500gb to put in it?
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Absolutely run each VM on its own hard drive. They are so cheap it's a no brainer performance wise to get an extra hard drive soley to run a VM on it. It's better to get smaller drives as they are single plater and therefore have faster access and transfer times. 500Gb is a sweet spot between size, speed and cost. Don't forget Exchange is disk intensive too, I wouldn't dream of running 2 Exchange VMs on a single hard drive. I wish I could put SSDs in to my box but for now I'll have to stick with standard drives.
  • Options
    If you're studying for the MCITP:EA you may as well use Hyper-V for VMs. I used to use VMWare Workstation but way prefer Hyper-V now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    where can one get hyper-v
  • Options
    hackmerhackmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    whotime wrote: »
    where can one get hyper-v
    Hyper-V is a Server Role.
    Server Manager / Add Roles / Hyper-V.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    hackmer wrote: »

Not exclusively. You can get a standalone version too

Microsoft Hyper-V Server: How to Get It
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-V is also standalone product. You can download it from here: Download details: Microsoft® Hyper-V? Server 2008 R2
    Best thing - it's free.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    hackmer wrote: »

Or as a standalone server product.
  • Options
    thpaulothpaulo Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm study for MS 70-642 in the road to MCITP EA, i'll buy a new PC in few days:
    I7 2600, 16GB Memory, SSD 60GB vertex 2...,

For performance for each VM machine it's better to buy 2 Harddrives (Samsung F3) with 500GB or 1 hard drive with 1TB (Samsung F3) per less 30 €?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    my vm lab build consists of

1 multicore proc with high fsb not much oh the speed its self do so i went with amd they always seam to have high bus speeds and that really matters more than ghz in the vm world

4 gig of ram but going to upgrade to 8 gig when i have the cash

1 low ish size ssd for the main os/vm to install on
    1 500gig 7200 rpm drive
    slightly upgraded vid card (personal pref i guess but i have a thing about onboard video)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    I skipped the SSD because I'm cheap. I built a server with an i5 processor and now have 16 MB RAM. I went with a small 7200 RPM for OS and a larger HDD for Applications I may want and for general storage. I adde 3 small 7200 RPM HDDs for the VMs and havent experienced a bottleneck or slowdown yet.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    thpaulo wrote: »
    I'm study for MS 70-642 in the road to MCITP EA, i'll buy a new PC in few days:
    I7 2600, 16GB Memory, SSD 60GB vertex 2...,

For performance for each VM machine it's better to buy 2 Harddrives (Samsung F3) with 500GB or 1 hard drive with 1TB (Samsung F3) per less 30 €?

thpaulo,

As was stated above, the best idea is to have multiple physical hard drives so each VM can be run on it's own disk. From a real world aspect, you may determine it to be out of your financial means at this time to commit to the multiple smaller drives. Keep in mind, if you only have the single hard drive, you're running your OS and any user apps (Office / Quicken / Warcraft / etc) on the same media as your lab setup. Any extra stress caused by forcing the drive heads to move back and forth between VMs may end up in reduced lifetime on the drive with resultant loss of data.

sean
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Povilas wrote: »
    Hyper-V is also standalone product. You can download it from here: Download details: Microsoft® Hyper-V? Server 2008 R2
    Best thing - it's free.

Wow. Haven't seen the words Microsoft and free in the same post for a long time.

Cheers
  • Options
    ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im going with a sandy bridge i5 3.1ghz quad
    2x4 ddr3 1333 ram i can add another 8gb
    3 500 gb wd cav blue 7200rpm hard drives going to run them in either raid 0 or 5
    Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
    BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
    A+, Security+
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ericcumbee wrote: »
    Im going with a sandy bridge i5 3.1ghz quad
    2x4 ddr3 1333 ram i can add another 8gb
    3 500 gb wd cav blue 7200rpm hard drives going to run them in either raid 0 or 5

I hope Intel have sorted this out with the Sandy Bridge > Intel admits $700 million hit for sandy bridge chipset problems- The Inquirer
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah mine is a b3 stepping board
    Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
    BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
    A+, Security+
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just make sure you have throughput on your data IO if you're going to be running a lot of VMs. If you want to go cheap, I would suggest four(4) normal 7200 RPM drives in RAID0. Blah blah, raid 0 is dangerous. It's just a lab, back it up if you care.

I use 4xVraps in RAID0 with a quad-core xeon and 16gb ram. Lab host is Server 2008 Datacenter w/hyper-v. (This box doesn't technically belong to me, it belongs to my employer but I spec'd it out and use it for job related labs and deployment tasks)

Along with fast drives and hyper-v, I would suggest making ISOs of all of the Operating System and software installation discs required by any labs you'll be doing and mounting the ISOs to install them. Things will be a lot faster and less "clunky".

Just my 2c
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    certhelp wrote: »
    To run 64 bit guests and Hyper-V, you would need 64 bit processor supporting virtualization extensions VT-X, AMD-V. Without those you won't be able to run, any 64-bit guests on VMWare though you can run 32-bit guests. Remember Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only.

Can any modern Processor support those virtualization extensions?

AMD Phenom II X4 965 for example?
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    hackmerhackmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can check your hardware with:
    AMD-V Hyper-V Compatibility Check Utility
    Technical Download Details
    You can see something like this:
    captureuu.png
    And make sure that "No eXecute Bit" feature is disabled (for AMD processors)

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    djfunz wrote: »
    Can any modern Processor support those virtualization extensions?

AMD Phenom II X4 965 for example?
    All Phenom and Athlon II support AMD-V, as does pretty much every AMD CPU from the last 5 years. The latest Intel Core i3/i5/i7 all support Intel VT, but for anything older (e.g. Core 2) you should verify on their website before making a purchase.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV