Help!!!!

Tommy2727Tommy2727 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Need assistance with L3 switching simulators, GNS3 not helping ...... Is it true the next best thing is an actual L3 switch???? Attempting to take Switch in 25 days.. I have access to real equip but it's at school..

Study materal:
Cisco Press.
CBT Nuggets.
Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks PDF.s V1&2.
Practice, Practice, and more Practice make Perfection.....

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Hands down the best and most realistic approach will always been with actual gear. Unfortunately not everyone has the money to shell out on equipment which leaves us with a few other choices to choose from:

-Community Lab over @ PacketLife
    -Rented Lab space (a few vendors out there for a reasonable price)
    -Packet Tracer has limited capability if you are a Net Acad Student
    -Boson Simulator
    -GNS3 (again, limited capability)
    -Contact a Cisco Channel Partner (Silver or Gold) and ask about "demo" time... not all are willing to do this unless a sale is pending

These are just a few examples of what you can use and is not meant as an exhaustive list. With 25 days I would say the best bet would be to shell out a little bit of money towards lab tokens and go from there. Just my 0.02
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Tommy2727Tommy2727 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I guess I'll be in school for the next 25 days 2 to 4 hr's labs only ugh!!!! any other advice for the switch exam.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    if your using GNS3 the 3700 IOS can take a switch module, you'll be able to play around on some of the topics for your exam.
    The 3700 Modual dosen't load all the time..will not power up and when it does I can not run most of my commands.. bla bla bla..thanks
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    As mentioned, the PacketLife lab is your best bet, it has 3550s and 3560s in it. However, 2-4 hour labs at school for 25 days? To be honest thats more than enough, if you can't get all the switching labs done in that time you must be doing something wrong.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with stuh84. Your school situation sounds ideal. A lot of people have no access to high end switches besides rack rental. Consider yourself lucky.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Thanks again guys, i have a few concepts that's riddling me so i'll be posting today after labs.. thanks again?

cheers..
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Feel free to post the concepts you are having difficulty with. One of the benefits of Tech Exams is the vast number of knowledgeable professionals who are willing to lend a hand!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11