the ms timeline

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
i saw this a remembered it all ... sad i know ... even sadder i have the 5 1/4 disks

YouTube - Chain of Fools : Upgrading through every version of windows (HQ)
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's pretty crazy. I can't say I remember all of it, but most of it is very familiar.
    :study:
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This was pretty cool, they missed out WinMe though. Even Microsoft wants to pretend it never existed.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    This was pretty cool, they missed out WinMe though. Even Microsoft wants to pretend it never existed.

He claims that ME to 2000 can't be done so he had to skip it. It's not recommended, but it can be done.

I saw this suggested somewhere in the past (but not accomplished) and wanted to give it a go, but my only copies of 3.1, 95 and 98 are the full versions and will not upgrade previous versions.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The best things about that vid:
    1) No WinME (the only times I ever wanted to physically beat the cr@p out of a PC)
    2) Doom2 :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guy has way too much time lol ....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Was WindowsMe really that bad or was it the Vista for that time period? I used Me and really could not tell the difference.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Was WindowsMe really that bad or was it the Vista for that time period? I used Me and really could not tell the difference.

It was really that bad. I have no issues with Vista. WinMe would crash if you looked at it funny. It suffered from the same sort of architectural issues that plagued Windows 98 before the SE.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

WinME never should have been coded or released.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »

Loved Gates' presentation though .. Bluescreen at the release - that was class :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »

imo it was a failed 98 service pack
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know because reading about WinME it did add a lot of features that would work its way future versions of Windows. Are we comparing ME from aXP/VIsta perspective or Windows 95-98?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know because reading about WinME it did add a lot of features that would work its way future versions of Windows. Are we comparing ME from aXP/VIsta perspective or Windows 95-98?

From either perspective it was a failure. No amount of features can outweigh how unstable it was. Especially when you consider it followed 98se which was quite good in it's day.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was fortunate enough to go from 95 to 98 to XP and skip out on both ME and 2000. Then to Vista and finally 7.
    Decide what to be and go be it.

Features do not matter if the OS is so flawed that it becomes unpleasant to use. I'm looking at it from the point of view of a user from back in the day. I hated it, even back then. It was OS on the first PC I ever bought, though I had been using PCs since Win 3.1
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    He claims that ME to 2000 can't be done so he had to skip it. It's not recommended, but it can be done.

Not sure why anyone would have taken that upgrade path...as I remember, 2000 was released about 6 months before ME, and both products were aimed at different target markets.

I don't recall ever seeing ME in anything but a home environment...I'm sure someone tried to use it in their enterprise. I do remember seeing a lot of 2000 in the corporate realms back in those days.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone would have taken that upgrade path...as I remember, 2000 was released about 6 months before ME, and both products were aimed at different target markets.

I don't recall ever seeing ME in anything but a home environment...I'm sure someone tried to use it in their enterprise. I do remember seeing a lot of 2000 in the corporate realms back in those days.

MS

It's not a true upgrade. If I recall it was actually a clean install, the 2000 upgrade disc would run, though, as it recognized the Win ME install.