lan connection over fiber optic

forbiddenforestforbiddenforest Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all
I want to connect two building that are 20-25 km away from each other using single mode fiber optic cable. each building has small lan with Cisco Switch.

does anybody tell me what is maximum distance of single mode fiber optic and if fibe optic covers distance is smaller for example 10 km then do i need other switches in middle for expanding network

regards
forbs

Comments

• certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    hi all
    I want to connect two building that are 20-25 km away from each other using single mode fiber optic cable. each building has small lan with Cisco Switch.

does anybody tell me what is maximum distance of single mode fiber optic and if fibe optic covers distance is smaller for example 10 km then do i need other switches in middle for expanding network

regards
    forbs

Is this a hypothetical question or are you really cabling 25km? icon_smile.gif

Single mode fiber can have a reach of up to 40km (10GBaseER/EW).
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why would you be running your own cable that distance?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    running cable that far you run into alot of issues

permits, faa, breaks, ect

only place ive seen that kinda cabling is at a university connection for data centers
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Its probably best to get an internet provider to connect your remote offices. We have that going on here at the client where I sit. They ride the fiber backbone in Denver with T1 or SDSL terminations at the offices depending on available cabling. All offices are on a "transparent LAN" which works out very well. It ends up being about the same price as all the single T1's we threw away.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Why would you be running your own cable that distance?

Reminds me of the days back in highschool when I lived across the street and was on dial up. Kept thinking of how I would be able to run an ethernet cable under the street to tap into that T1 line.
    Decide what to be and go be it.