Options

GNS3 Sticky Thread

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
How does everyone feel about a separate sticky thread for CCNP level GNS3 material? I've noticed there are multiple sites that offer free CCNP focused labs that are built on GNS3 and available for download. I looked at the CCNP FAQ threads and it seems like the dynamips/GNS3 info is from several years ago.

Here are two sites that I frequent that have free GNS3 Labs

GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator
Welcome to GNS3 Vault
GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies For CCENT, CCNA, CCNP & CCIE Candidates!

Thoughts?
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow....really touched on a nerve with this topic :)

<crickets chirping on>

</crickets chirping off>
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's usually just easiest to send people over to GN3.net.

We will mention the videos at blindhog.net and brainbump.net sometimes, but it's just as easy to send people to the GN3.net documentation page: Documentation | GNS3

Same with Dynagen -- head over to Main

For the people who want the "quick start" on Dynagen, jump into the tutorial:
    Dynamips / Dynagen Tutorial
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mzinzmzinz Member Posts: 328
    Random question - On all these GNS3 labs I see around, do they say what kind of device is being used with which modules?

It seems like a lot of people would try to load a lab but not have the right software (ios)...
    _______LAB________
    2x 2950
    2x 3550
    2x 2650XM
    2x 3640
    1x 2801
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For the CCNP with GNS3 if you have and advanced IP services 12.3T or higher IOS for a 3600/3700 you will probably be good to go for just about every lab.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    For the CCNP with GNS3 if you have and advanced IP services 12.3T or higher IOS for a 3600/3700 you will probably be good to go for just about every lab.

I think since we keep getting questions about labs and lab equipment why not create a sticky so that we can list the routers and switches that you can use and what their benefits and shortcomings are. Maybe even create a side by side comparison so that people can make a more educated decision as to what is right for them.

Also if there was a section we could upload GNS3 or even just a paper lab to I think it would be good. You could create a lab with flaws and see how long it takes to find it.

Just my opinion.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    I think the stick is a good idea; lots of people asking about it. I'd love to find some labs with preconfigured faults on them (think TSHOOT). I could make my own bit then I'd know the fault already!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]