Options

New Job Network Engineer

Hi guys, I just want to share this great news, I got a call today from a company I interviewed that I nailed and did well with the interview and got the job as a Network Engineer, the pay is much better than my previous one, I will be working with BGP/MPLS/Blade System/Security/ASA Firewalls/LAN.

It's good to see how the little time I put my 100 % pays off, now I gotta nail some of this cert out of the way, I am so motivated to give it my best, and work 12 hours each day to master the companies network, it looks like a real great place they have 182 sites, as well as having the impression of a highly organized department.

icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Hi guys, I just want to share this great news, I got a call today from a company I interviewed that I nailed and did well with the interview and got the job as a Network Engineer, the pay is much better than my previous one, I will be working with BGP/MPLS/Blade System/Security/ASA Firewalls/LAN.

It's good to see how the little time I put my 100 % pays off, now I gotta nail some of this cert out of the way, I am so motivated to give it my best, and work 12 hours each day to master the companies network, it looks like a real great place they have 182 sites, as well as having the impression of a highly organized department.

icon_cheers.gif

Congrats man, that is very encouraging to hear. I have been trying to get into engineering positions but it seems like around here, you have to know someone to be considered.

Cheers
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Network Engineer is a big jump if you are coming from the other side of things. Good Job. No Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Thanks guys this site was a big help, this wasn't something handed to me on a plate, I was competing with other candidates for the position, went in there having a positive attitude and that I have alot to offer.

With that being said, there's no going back and some of my plans has to be changed, I will start pursuing CCIP and put some of my training on the side.

I celebrated playing 4 songs on guitar hero lol back to study.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    What are you using for the CCIP? After my CCNP that is what I want to go after.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    What are you using for the CCIP? After my CCNP that is what I want to go after.

It will be GNS3 for the most part, I have 3 2611XM and 1 2600, I do invest heavily on my lab so if I need to purchase more hardware I'll have to do it, I was also looking at a 2800 router.

As far as resources I would assume the INE CCIP training material is a must, since this are advanced certifications, I'll have to check for CBT/Trainsignal as well, for my CCNP I bought some of the old lab portfolios they have for sale, it has richer content compared to the lab companion I could almost say the lab companion for switch is a rip-off, so I will do the same thing for CCIP materials, I'm going to pick-up Halabi's BGP bible...
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats amigo! use this as motivation to pursue your cert goals. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Congo bro!! icon_thumright.gifwhere's the part Tonite icon_cheers.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic Job man!!!!icon_cool.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    it looks like a real great place they have 182 sites
    Welcome to the bigs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude!icon_thumright.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Congrats on a well deserved opportunity! There is no doubt that your hard work has paid off in positive ways. With the experience from the new gig something tells me you and I will be taking the CCIE lab exam around the same time icon_wink.gif
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    Congrats on a well deserved opportunity! There is no doubt that your hard work has paid off in positive ways. With the experience from the new gig something tells me you and I will be taking the CCIE lab exam around the same time icon_wink.gif

I am starting to debate CCIE Lab might as well go for the big fish, although this won't happen till next year, but with CCIP/CCNP I am already preparing for it.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I am starting to debate CCIE Lab might as well go for the big fish, although this won't happen till next year, but with CCIP/CCNP I am already preparing for it.

That's awesome! I'll be starting on the CCIP track this summer as a prep for the CCIE. How much longer till CCNP/CCIP is complete?
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    That's awesome! I'll be starting on the CCIP track this summer as a prep for the CCIE. How much longer till CCNP/CCIP is complete?

I expect to be finished with CCNP in 2 months, I've been on it for more than a year now, the CCIP is going to be a different ball game, if anything I might do BGP/MPLS first, I would assume there would be overlap with CCNP Route.
  • Options
    RPMar52RPMar52 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□

icon_cheers.gif
    Congrats! Good luck!
    Studying for: Linux+; C|EH
  • Options
    Update as a full capacity network/security engineer:

So far so good, verything is working in my favor, I hold the most technical position at the company given my cubicle size lol, well it comes with it's function I'm the only network/security engineer, I've been sooo damn busy alot of projects that I was able to turn around and most has already finished in a short amount of time soo many in my plate and I think it will just get busier after hearing that the DR/COLO has been on hold since they are unable to get a decent network engineer.

I carry an attitude of a matador grabbing these projects by it's horn and taking down the bull with precision and got praises so far, but the battle is just in it's early stage, I don't want to become a senior level I want to be a ninja level like some of you guys dynamik/mike/ahriakin/Paladin so many to mention I have to say I'm very envious, I plan to put all my 100 % for this year towards me knocking out my certifications, not to mention VCP/MBA on the horizon, and my project management skills sucks ass either I like it or not I will most likely be leading this projects.

One of my big project includes a redundant asa and ips/, as well 160+ sites and growing that I need ASA 5505 deployed, while upgrading some idsl to T1/cable internet, and maintaining a good 20 sites that are on MPLS/corporate network.

One thing I'm quite disappointed about myself is slacking on my studies, I need to get tshoot/ccna security out of the way to open the road to CCSP and the new track they now have.

My ADD is at it's best at dating sites and woman on my downtime, seems they luv GEEKS after all and I can't resist haha...
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Looks like your having fun. What was your job before you got the job?
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Looks like your having fun. What was your job before you got the job?

Jr Sys Admin
    Sys Admin
    Infrastructure Admin - Mostly Cisco Networks (laid off)
    System Engineer - 35 % Networks VMware/Linux and MicroCheez M$

I went through the whole Metamorphosis phase started as a maggot/larvae and evolved to a brutalisk now trying to become a ninja brutalisk lol...
  • Options
    Jr Sys Admin
    Sys Admin
    Infrastructure Admin - Mostly Cisco Networks (laid off)
    System Engineer - 35 % Networks VMware/Linux and MicroCheez M$

I went through the whole Metamorphosis phase started as a maggot/larvae and evolved to a brutalisk now trying to become a ninja brutalisk lol...
    Looks like you become a pro on everything.
    Im guessing thats a list of positions you went through?
  • Options
    Looks like you become a pro on everything.
    Im guessing thats a list of positions you went through?

We're in the same state your working on CCSP very nice.

Yes I started from the bottom, when I realized having a BSCS was not enough to land a quick job.

PC Technician - Network Engineer with the last 7 years mostly network administration.

Can't call myself a PRO like Mike said welcome to the big, with hardwork I will start knocking out certification, I came from a MCSE background and 9 years of experience.

I am sure one might guess if one is worthy of big titles I carry my weight very well, if I was correct at decyphering your encrypted text.

Now if I may ask the same question at you, how's the NoC position your holding? in what area and how busy it is working for a NoC? I must admitt working for a NoC never appealed to me, possibly due to mundane tasks, I might be wrong I am sure all the big things happen at NoC though...
  • Options
    I also want to add what's your background? it looks like you hold a clearance of some sort since you stated your job as classified, I might have confused NOC with an ISP.
  • Options
    Im still finishing up my TSHOOT then CISSP > CCDA > CCNA-Sec > CCNP-Sec. Still a long road. lol

The NOC that im holding is alright. More of dealing with L2 and little bit of L3. I assist the engineers here on their projects. Its good since some engineers are lazy and they make me do most of the work which is great for my resume.

I cant really tell the area but you can PM me your linkedin address so I can add you and from there you will see which area and which company i work for. I also cant say the company here since I can turn into a target. lol Yes, I have a security clearance.

NOC is always busy. Lots of projects and migration going on but I still have time to study.

My background is Software Validation Engineer for couple of years and I moved to IT recently. I have a A.S. in Comp Eng and B.S. on Electronics from a trade school. Hopefully, I can start a Masters soon or commit myself to CCIE but knocking down the NP's and getting experience are my current priorities.
  • Options
    All those stuff sounds good, I'm currently somehow on the same page as you, my projects involves purchasing a 2nd 6500 including sup engine that will support VSS, I am currently weighing the benefits and the high price tag, vs. another method.

I am more involved working in the security area at the moment, we have a very paranoid configuration on our ASA 5505 where internet access has to go back to our network and routed out to our DS3 there goes my project of iDSL upgrades, and network access is restricted to specific segments of our network, I'm also currently fine tuning our redundant IPS system, and working on how to deal with encrypted traffic that IPS is unable to inspect, something along the lines of restructuring app server from Inside to the DMZ and creating a strict NBAR policy.

I have set a timeframe for completion with this projects, and I am almost certain that after this the DR/COLO will be brought, I am hoping I make it to the waiting list for UCSC VCP program, since my plans involves VMware failover technology, and SAN replication technology, and that CCIP would be golden for this project, in that case we should definitely network.

I've been with the company for almost 2 months, and I hate to say it very early that our new Senior Network Admin acts like a Jr. Admin sometime a helpdesk, so more projects on my plate which is good for now.

My goal is to wrap my CCNP, and start with CCNA Security followed by CCSP, with 160 remote sites running ASA5505/IPS etc. I am almost certain that this will help me tackle this, right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Tshoot and CCNA Security/IPS v7.

Then I will follow it with Linux certification, followed by either CCIP/CCIE or MBA, anyway it will be good to network especially we're on the same area, and gunning for the same credentials, and might as well gun for the same salary of 150K haha in my dreams.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I cant really tell the area but you can PM me your linkedin address so I can add you and from there you will see which area and which company i work for. I also cant say the company here since I can turn into a target. lol Yes, I have a security clearance.

Ok Jack Bauer. We got it. Me and my "clearance" are going to get some coffee. icon_rolleyes.gif
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Ok Jack Bauer. We got it. Me and my "clearance" are going to get some coffee. icon_rolleyes.gif
    hater much? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    hater much? icon_rolleyes.gif

If your job was that "classified", you wouldn't be mentioning it. As for the OP, congrats!!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    One thing I'm quite disappointed about myself is slacking on my studies

Don't fret it man. You have been doing the right thing, focusing on your new job more so than studying. Taking on a new role in an unfamiliar environment is very daunting and requires a ton of attention.

Congrats on the job man and glad all is going well!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    All those stuff sounds good, I'm currently somehow on the same page as you, my projects involves purchasing a 2nd 6500 including sup engine that will support VSS, I am currently weighing the benefits and the high price tag, vs. another method.

I am more involved working in the security area at the moment, we have a very paranoid configuration on our ASA 5505 where internet access has to go back to our network and routed out to our DS3 there goes my project of iDSL upgrades, and network access is restricted to specific segments of our network, I'm also currently fine tuning our redundant IPS system, and working on how to deal with encrypted traffic that IPS is unable to inspect, something along the lines of restructuring app server from Inside to the DMZ and creating a strict NBAR policy.

I have set a timeframe for completion with this projects, and I am almost certain that after this the DR/COLO will be brought, I am hoping I make it to the waiting list for UCSC VCP program, since my plans involves VMware failover technology, and SAN replication technology, and that CCIP would be golden for this project, in that case we should definitely network.

I've been with the company for almost 2 months, and I hate to say it very early that our new Senior Network Admin acts like a Jr. Admin sometime a helpdesk, so more projects on my plate which is good for now.

My goal is to wrap my CCNP, and start with CCNA Security followed by CCSP, with 160 remote sites running ASA5505/IPS etc. I am almost certain that this will help me tackle this, right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Tshoot and CCNA Security/IPS v7.

Then I will follow it with Linux certification, followed by either CCIP/CCIE or MBA, anyway it will be good to network especially we're on the same area, and gunning for the same credentials, and might as well gun for the same salary of 150K haha in my dreams.
    Yah, those 6500 are no joke. Freaking heavy to put in (one of my co worker messed up his hand) and a challenge to config.

Senior's usually get comfortable and let the new kids work. Its a bad thing since we're getting paid less doing their work but at least we're learning more.

Im not really using my CCIP. However, I knock that out of the way just in case I go for the CCIE track.

150k is doable. I know some contractors with the right experience and right cert(s) gets paid 175k-200k.