Comments

• Options
    Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    konvict wrote: »
    You might be a network guy if:

you pause a movie to see the o.s they are using

I did this for the movie firewall to see what commands they were entering
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    konvict wrote: »
    You might be a network guy if:

you pause a movie to see the o.s they are using

My other half doesn't like to watch movies with me because of this. It's not that I pause the movie, but I scream at the plasma. She tells me to leave my geek at work. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    I did this for the movie firewall to see what commands they were entering
    They used a private address in the ACL
    YouTube - firewall.wmv
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    They used a private address in the ACL
    YouTube - firewall.wmv

That company, dealing with secure transactions, has one of their edge routers named "Router"?

Besides, since when do you have to type "Router(config)#" before a command? And if this place is so secure, why did they not have to use a telnet/ssh password? Or an enable password? Wonder if he purposely didn't want to save his config? lol

Ok, I'm done complaining.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Monkerz wrote: »
    My other half doesn't like to watch movies with me because of this. It's not that I pause the movie, but I scream at the plasma. She tells me to leave my geek at work. icon_sad.gif

LOL, this drive me crazy as well. Lets see what shows I can think of off the top of my head:

1. 24 (ridiculous)
    2. NCIS (Beyond ridiculous)
    3. NCIS Los Angeles (This season the resident Geek says he turned off the Internet for five minutes)

Anyone else got some to add to this list? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That company, dealing with secure transactions, has one of their edge routers named "Router"?

Maybe its really a L3 switch. XD
    Besides, since when do you have to type "Router(config)#" before a command? And if this place is so secure, why did they not have to use a telnet/ssh password? Or an enable password? Wonder if he purposely didn't want to save his config? lol

Haha, lots of flaws, but I'm still tickled to see stuff I do daily appear in a movie XD
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options

That movie drove me crazy. I rented it recently thinking it would be a great geek movie. I should have looked into it more... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    LOL, this drive me crazy as well. Lets see what shows I can think of off the top of my head:

1. 24 (ridiculous)
    2. NCIS (Beyond ridiculous)
    3. NCIS Los Angeles (This season the resident Geek says he turned off the Internet for five minutes)

Anyone else got some to add to this list? icon_wink.gif

I used to watch CSI, but after learning more I couldn't take it anymore. All the flamboyant, hollywood BS got to me.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    That movie drove me crazy. I rented it recently thinking it would be a great geek movie. I should have looked into it more... icon_rolleyes.gif

I paid to see it in theaters for the same reason. I was highly disappointed and pissed that I wasted my money.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

It's alot easier to take when you turn it into a drinking game, you even start to look forward to it!
  • Options
    galorybergaloryber Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    everytime summer comes around, I get a little laugh out of hearing "windows down" and briefly wondering why, then realizing...icon_wink.gif not the same windows, ha.
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Guilty as charged of many of these, and particularly
    Mishra wrote: »
    You act as if you have an SLA for uptime at home
    For no good reason, I do my best at maintaining my main home server's uptime, which, as of today, is 591 days...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Guilty as charged of many of these, and particularly

For no good reason, I do my best at maintaining my main home server's uptime, which, as of today, is 591 days...

I like to actually patch my servers ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like to actually patch my servers ;)
    Scheduled maintenance windows don't count as downtime for reporting purposes. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    galorybergaloryber Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    or how bought this one

your keychain consists of : your house key, car key, and an IronKey (amongst other usb's, ha)
  • Options
    andrew09andrew09 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this thread is epic haha
    Completed: [A+:2009, MCP, MCSA:2003, MCTS x6, MCITP:EDA7]

Studying for: [MCITP:SA (646), MCITP:EA (643, 647)]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You look up the IP and ASN for every site you visit. Then you find their transit and check latency.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So in addition to studying for the CCNP I'm an part time MBA student. I'm having a real hard time writing long papers because i keep trying to press tab to finish my thoughts. It doesn't work well in word. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Love this thread. I'm guilty of several of these.
    Besides, since when do you have to type "Router(config)#" before a command?

and thats exactly what I thought when watching Firewall - queue a lot of pausing, rewinding, complaining and laughing at the TV. It is also exactly the reason why the missus made me turn it off and go and watch it by myself on the PC upstairs :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    You might be a network person if you cannot explain what you do at work on a daily basis to anyone besides the great folks at TE.
  • Options
    It took my wife over a year to understand what I did at my NOC job. I asked her what do you tell people I do if you don't understand it? She said it didn't matter cause those people wouldn't understand it either.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    It took my wife over a year to understand what I did at my NOC job. I asked her what do you tell people I do if you don't understand it? She said it didn't matter cause those people wouldn't understand it either.

Lol...pretty funny. I gave up trying to explain what I do, or what a switch or router is. I have the same answer nowadays..."I work in IT". One time my GF uncle asked me what I did and I said "work in IT" and he replied "what is IT" icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    My other half's grandfather asked me what I do at work. I told him I was in the business of networking. He asked me if Facebook paid good... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    My other half's grandfather asked me what I do at work. I told him I was in the business of networking. He asked me if Facebook paid good... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ouch....
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently watched Jurassic Park again for the first time in a long time. I actually admire the attempt at actually making the technology sound proper. I had no idea they tried.

Most movies there is a magical interface that you can do everything in the click of 1 button. Or a hacker gets to a login prompt and elbows the keyboard and it's hacked somehow.

However, the worst part of it was when the girl gets to the computer when the raptors are attacking and says "Gasp! It's UNIX! I know this!" Then starts clicking her way around a GUI....
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I say I make the internet work for my company. People usually shut up then, and I don't get clumped into the help-desk arena.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options

Dislike -- sorry I had to icon_cool.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I say I make the internet work for my company. People usually shut up then, and I don't get clumped into the help-desk arena.

I'm a little more flippant. I usually say I keep the internet running so people can get their ****, twitter, and facebook.

That's gotten some... interesting reactions.

Nobody wants to hear about my daily struggles integrating our network with that of a Fortune 500 company, or the pain in the rear that FFEIC compliance is. But everyone understands facebook and ****.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    galoryber wrote: »
    or how bought this one

your keychain consists of : your house key, car key, and an IronKey (amongst other usb's, ha)

don't forget RSA token, assorted server rack keys, and other random certificate based fob
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You might be a network person if the song powering your day is Networking by Warren Zevon
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!