Options

Which test to start with 1st?

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello All,

I just passed my CCNA Security exam today and now I'm going to start the CCNP R&S track. Which test would you recommend I start with? SWITCH or ROUTE? I know TSHOOT should be last.

Thanks!
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd usually suggest that you either start with the one you like best (or have more experience with) -- or get the one you like the least out of the way first....

But since there have been reports of issues (badly worded questions, defective SIMs, etc) with the SWITCH exam, I'd say go ROUTE first and hope they either fix the SWITCH issues (or pull the bad questions which were hopefully just "Beta Questions").
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    +1 to Mike. If you find that you will be performing more ROUTE related activities go for that exam first, if SWITCH is your daily routine then you know which one to focus on.

IMO the SWITCH exam issues is getting better but there are a few typo's that they could have ironed out to make things a little easier for the candidate. Good luck!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    just what mike said. go for ROUTE first and hope they polish up that SWITCH test because it is awkward at best.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just what mike said. go for ROUTE first and hope they polish up that SWITCH test because it is awkward at best.

That's kinda why I decided to tackle ROUTE first also. I work with routing way more than switching in my current role (Cisco switching anyway). If i'm lucky I get to set up a dot1q trunk every now and then :)

The funny thing is that I work for an ISP and the MSAPs we use to aggregate DSL and Voice are basically big switches with a bunch of proprietary junk thrown in. The concepts are similar but the execution is waaay different.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...