Options

INE All access training pass

kryptos80kryptos80 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody here as tried the INE all access training pass before? Right now its on sale for 1599. Then you get half off the workbooks. Looks pretty sweet because you get access to ALL training videos. I like it cuz I can look at Voice/Security stuff as well, but I'm mainly focused on R&S.

Here is a URL to it: CCIE All Access Training Pass

Basically I need to get a good CCIE study package (sub $2500) soon before my company won't reimburse me for it.

If there is something better than this, please suggest the best online/lab/training for CCIE R&S. Best bang for your buck!

Thanks guys and gals!

Comments

• Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    IMO that price is still way too high. I think people are tired of insanely high prices for training material and to be honest that trend needs to stop. That is why you have such a huge learning curve in the I.T. field, because only a select few can afford to buy the "elite" training products.

I cannot comment on their Voice/Security stuff but they do have very good R&S material, but I certainly don't have $1,500 to throw at this.

looks to me like they are starting to feel the pressure of other training companies :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is just a new bundle at a single price that has a time limit -- all you can study (and print out and record) in one year.

Then they did the followup announcement of $999 for the 2nd year.

Looking at the web site, at the end of your subscription you lose access to the training material and future updates (unless they add the option for continuing to a 3rd, 4th, etc year).

Since it was just offered in the last few weeks I'm not sure you can find anyone to give a testimonial about the bundle.

As for their training -- they are one of the more popular 3rd party CCIE Training companies.
    I certainly don't have $1,500 to throw at this.
    I guess it depends where you are in your career. That's been "pocket change" for me for over 15 years now. And even back in the day when spending $1000 hurt, I considered it an investment in my future -- and for me at least, it's paid off nicely.

Hopefully this isn't going to lead to a rush of noob-->expert wannabes who expect to go from zero to hero in one year.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jdfriesenjdfriesen Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm obviously not at the same level on the Cisco side as the bulk of you, but I've worked in the IT field for over 20 years. Most of expertise being in the Linux and SQL / PL/SQL side of things.

I decided to expand my skill-set, which is why I'm here, but to me $1,500 doesn't seem unreasonable at all. I've taken a number of Red Hat Architect level (RHCA) courses over the years, and they generally worked out to $800 - $1000 per day. $1500 for a year's access to materials, assuming of course they're good materials seems like a bargain.
  • Options
    kryptos80kryptos80 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jdfriesen wrote: »
    I'm obviously not at the same level on the Cisco side as the bulk of you, but I've worked in the IT field for over 20 years. Most of expertise being in the Linux and SQL / PL/SQL side of things.

I decided to expand my skill-set, which is why I'm here, but to me $1,500 doesn't seem unreasonable at all. I've taken a number of Red Hat Architect level (RHCA) courses over the years, and they generally worked out to $800 - $1000 per day. $1500 for a year's access to materials, assuming of course they're good materials seems like a bargain.

Hey JD, if you had to recommend a couple of books for Linux adminstration, what would they be?

Back to original post, money is all relative. I just want to know if INE's VOD's were of good quality. Thanks again.
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    kryptos80 wrote: »
    Hey JD, if you had to recommend a couple of books for Linux adminstration, what would they be?

Back to original post, money is all relative. I just want to know if INE's VOD's were of good quality. Thanks again.

Well I'm not JD, but I see that he also has the LPIC-1, which is a good starter for linux.

Funny thing, I still think the LPIC 101/102 were harder than any CC*P level certification from Cisco. I think it has something to do with the fill in the blank questions.

Also, JD, those $700-$1000/day coursed your talking about are the bootcamp style training. I remember looking into a 2 week Solaris course that was $5k. That stuff is crazy expensive.
  • Options
    kryptos80 wrote: »

That's a pretty broad topic. I tend to like to script administrative tasks where possible (as I'm sure most do), and a useful reference for that is:
    Mastering Unix Shell Scripting by Randal Michael

I started playing with Linux when it had to be downloaded on about 24 3.5" 1.44MB floppies, and haven't read a general admin book in probably 10 years or so, other than an RHCE book I read when I took that exam a few years back, but that's more exam specific, although if you can pass the RHCE, you certainly have a fair bit of general admin knowledge.

I did read a bit of The Practice of System and Network Administration, Second Edition on Safari a couple years ago, and it seemed pretty good. When I have an issue I'm trying to sort out now though, I generally just use Google for the particular topic.

Not really what you're asking for, but things change so much in books, that I don't want to recommend a book I may have read 4 editions ago (assuming I can remember the title!).
  • Options
    Well I'm not JD, but I see that he also has the LPIC-1, which is a good starter for linux.

Funny thing, I still think the LPIC 101/102 were harder than any CC*P level certification from Cisco. I think it has something to do with the fill in the blank questions.

Also, JD, those $700-$1000/day coursed your talking about are the bootcamp style training. I remember looking into a 2 week Solaris course that was $5k. That stuff is crazy expensive.

I got my LPIC-1 shortly after it came out, so don't really remember too much about how difficult it was. I certainly think that the RHCE was a lot harder, as it's got very little in the way of actual multiple choice, or fill in the blanks questions. You're essentially given a PC (not a simulator), and told to fix a problem, or do an install with X Y & Z. Much more akin to what I've read about the CCIE Lab exam, although certainly nowhere near that hard. If you have a solid Linux background, most people could probably knock off the RHCE in a month or so of studying.

The expensive courses were the Red Hat Architect courses (go to redhat.com | Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA)). The RH436 in particular was pricey. $3,998 for a 4 day course. They are very good courses, and all the instructors I ever had were certainly extremely knowledgeable, but you really pay for them.