Any good websites for templates for creating processes?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm expected to create some processes and I was wondering what you all use in order to achieve this? Do you use a template or just create a word document. Utilize MS Visio or some modeling tool to show your flow chart?

What's your idea of processes? High level overview from start to finish. The reason why you would do it to save the business money?

Thanks for any feedback.

I was just thinking about creating a details level process improvement flow chart with the steps listed on a word document. I plan on embedding the flow chart into the word document to keep it centralized.

I plan on attempting of using the PDCA cycle to revise the process once I complete the first version.

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Banned Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm expected to create some processes and I was wondering what you all use in order to achieve this? Do you use a template or just create a word document. Utilize MS Visio or some modeling tool to show your flow chart?

What's your idea of processes? High level overview from start to finish. The reason why you would do it to save the business money?

Thanks for any feedback.

I was just thinking about creating a details level process improvement flow chart with the steps listed on a word document. I plan on embedding the flow chart into the word document to keep it centralized.

I plan on attempting of using the PDCA cycle to revise the process once I complete the first version.

I like these:

Mapping Work Processes [Spiral-bound]
    by Dianne Galloway
    Amazon.com: Mapping Work Processes (9780873892667): Dianne Galloway: Books

Process Mapping, Process Improvement and Process Management [Paperback]
    by Dan Madison
    Amazon.com: Process Mapping, Process Improvement and Process Management (9781932828047): Dan Madison: Books

Improving Business Processes (Pocket Mentor) [Paperback]
    by Harvard Business School Press
    Amazon.com: Improving Business Processes (Pocket Mentor) (9781422129739): Harvard Business School Press: Books
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paladin wrote: »
    I like these:

Mapping Work Processes [Spiral-bound]
    by Dianne Galloway
    Amazon.com: Mapping Work Processes (9780873892667): Dianne Galloway: Books

Process Mapping, Process Improvement and Process Management [Paperback]
    by Dan Madison
    Amazon.com: Process Mapping, Process Improvement and Process Management (9781932828047): Dan Madison: Books

Improving Business Processes (Pocket Mentor) [Paperback]
    by Harvard Business School Press
    Amazon.com: Improving Business Processes (Pocket Mentor) (9781422129739): Harvard Business School Press: Books

Thanks for the awesome information
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use a combination of SIPOC (an easy to use tool from Six Sigma) and a tool called IBM WebSphere Business Modeler: IBM - WebSphere Business Modeler Advanced - Features and benefits .

Visio is really pointless because the process models are basically static and it gives no empirical evidence of anything. Tools like WBM allow you to associate roles, responsibilities, cost, etc.. with activities of the process and then run simulations to determine what a process will cost, how improvements helped, etc... If one is so inclined WBM can generate various types of code if you are in a environment where processes are defined as executable objects.

Another tool that I've used that does simulation really well is Arena by Rockwell.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    Tools like WBM allow you to associate roles, responsibilities, cost, etc.. with activities of the process and then run simulations to determine what a process will cost, how improvements helped, etc... If one is so inclined WBM can generate various types of code if you are in a environment where processes are defined as executable objects.

This is a little bit of an overkill for me, but nonetheless a great tool.

MS it's post like these when realize how little I actually do know ;)

The tool I am looking for is more for work flow efficiencies in day to day operations. Not full blown work break down structures or business process models.

Thanks again

-N2
    This is a little bit of an overkill for me, but nonetheless a great tool.

MS it's post like these when realize how little I actually do know ;)

The tool I am looking for is more for work flow efficiencies in day to day operations. Not full blown work break down structures or business process models.

Thanks again

-N2

They have a basic version of the tool that drops much of the simulation stuff. However, I think you'll learn that the static process models that everyone makes with Visio are often no more than just pretty pictures.

I'm really not sure how as you model "efficiencies" in a tool that's incapable of accounting for the costs, people aspects, etc...of processes?

SIPOC can be used without any tool. It's easy to learn, you don't have to buy anything to use it, and it's a good way to organize many different aspects of processes.

MS
    They have a basic version of the tool that drops much of the simulation stuff. However, I think you'll learn that the static process models that everyone makes with Visio are often no more than just pretty pictures.

I'm really not sure how as you model "efficiencies" in a tool that's incapable of accounting for the costs, people aspects, etc...of processes?

SIPOC can be used without any tool. It's easy to learn, you don't have to buy anything to use it, and it's a good way to organize many different aspects of processes.

MS

Just downloaded a SIPOC template.

As much as I want to utilize ITIL, everytime I run into a new challenge, Six Sigma has the answer in some capacity lol. (At least as of late that has been the case).

Thanks
    As much as I want to utilize ITIL, everytime I run into a new challenge, Six Sigma has the answer in some capacity lol. (At least as of late that has been the case).

In truly arrogant fashion ITIL would claim that Six Sigma is simple part of "Complementary Guidance".

MS
    In truly arrogant fashion ITIL would claim that Six Sigma is simple part of "Complimentary Guidance".

MS

LMAO! I literally chuckled out loud. O well it's my last day here.
    LMAO! I literally chuckled out loud. O well it's my last day here.

You were obviously laughing at my misuse of the root Compli-...

MS
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a combination of SIPOC (an easy to use tool from Six Sigma) and a tool called IBM WebSphere Business Modeler: IBM - WebSphere Business Modeler Advanced - Features and benefits .

Visio is really pointless because the process models are basically static and it gives no empirical evidence of anything. Tools like WBM allow you to associate roles, responsibilities, cost, etc.. with activities of the process and then run simulations to determine what a process will cost, how improvements helped, etc... If one is so inclined WBM can generate various types of code if you are in a environment where processes are defined as executable objects.

Another tool that I've used that does simulation really well is Arena by Rockwell.

MS

I've heard about Websphere but have not used it; seems to be pretty industrious. Are their any free trials available to test?

Is the simulation tool Arena and open source application? Also, is it free to download?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Xcluziv wrote: »
    I've heard about Websphere but have not used it; seems to be pretty industrious. Are their any free trials available to test?

There are many products in the Websphere product line, and some of them do have free trials. As far as WebSphere Business Modeler goes, sometimes there are trials available; the website is IBM - WebSphere Business Modeler Advanced - Software

IBM used to mail out a DVD with several of their BPM tools on it, but that was around 2007-2008...I'm not sure that they do that any longer.
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Is the simulation tool Arena and open source application? Also, is it free to download?

As far as Arena goes, the only way I know to get a trial version is with a book like Amazon.com: Simulation with Arena (978007337628icon_cool.gif: W. Kelton, Randall Sadowski, Nancy Swets: Books

I took a class some time ago in graduate school that was all about process simulation...that was the book that we used (earlier edition) and Arena was the tool.

IMO Arena is nowhere near as polished as WebSphere Business Modeler.

MS