Options

what is supernetting?

newtechie1988newtechie1988 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to understand what supernetting is. Could somebody please explain that to me, or give me a website that would explain it to me? Also could you please give me a couple of examples?

Comments

• Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Let me google that for you

Smart-ass reply aside, it is basically the reverse of subnetting. You are taking many smaller networks, and placing them in a large one.

You also hear something called summarizing routes. Where you take many smaller networks that all go through the same next-hop address, and group them all under a single route in the routing table. This helps consolidated routing tables, and take strain off the CPU for those routers with lots of routes.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Summarizing multiple major networks:

192.168.0.0/23

172.16.0.0/15

10.0.0.0/7
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    aggregation, summarization, summary, supernet......

get use to thee terms..... when talking about prefixes.... they are thrown around by admins\engineers\architects...... and they all mean the same thing.

Very important concept to understand and master. :)

Instead of breaking up a prefix into smaller prefixes (subnetting), think of aggregation\supernetting as taking smaller prefixes that can be summarized into a larger prefix with a common prefix mask.

It is a best practice for internetworking, allows one to attempt at having a manageable and clean routing table.

Aggregation is also typically used to prevent misbehaving networks\prefixes from causing problems with oscillation\route convergence\routing protocol instabilities.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP