Options

Upgrading dumb AP's?

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Is there a controller based method to upgrade LAP's?

I can't find one in the gui, and Lammle's Sybex book doesn't mention one. I suppose CNA will do the job... I'll just be surprised if there isn't a controller-centric way of doing it.

Thanks,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Their was an autonomous to LWAPP conversation tool.

If the AP is already lightweight managed by a controller then when you upgrade the IOS on a WLC it will reboot and the new software will be pushed to the other LWAPPs, 5 at a time.. LAP's will be down until the new software is downloaded, installed, rebooted, and joined back to the controller.

version 7 offers a pre-download image option that allows you to download a secondary IOS image to the image and the you can tell the AP to reboot using other image.. Much more efficient.

my80211.com - HOME - WLC: Predownload the Image to the Access Points from the controllerCLI
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Great find Steve. Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    No problem, if anything makes the upgrade to v7 worth it, it's the pre-download.. and image swap.

Imagine having 30+ LAPs, and only 2 WLC's.. Makes the whole upgrade process feel like an eternity..
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS