Options

A+, 6 Years Non-IT Experience, Job Related Question**

Hello Techexams, I want to say thank you in advance for all your help,

I'm looking for my first IT Job and here's my "Resume" I have one, but I need to tailor it to meet an IT Job.

Me:
7 Years Restaurant Experience (2 Years Customer Service Based)
A+ Certification
2 FBLA Awards (Placed Top 10 in Cyber Security in State, and Networking Concepts in State)

I'm looking for insight on where I should apply for my first job, I want to start applying to places where I won't be wasting my time to start off (Basically, where I'm qualified, no longshots, etc)

Where should I start?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks in Advance icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Based on your "resume" and A+ cert, I would focus on Level 1 Help Desk. You can focus your resume to highlight your "soft skills" while demonstrating a willingness to perform A+ functions with the A+ cert that you got.

You can also try applying to Staples, Best Buy (Geek Squad) and do that for a good one-two years before you find a corporate gig.

At this point, I wouldn't focus on salary, but instead finding your first job that you are comfortable taking.

Also, I'm sure you've already contemplated this, but because you're a waiter, you could take a low paying help desk gig as you'll most likely work M-F and do the waiter bit on the weekends for extra money via double shifts.

The good news is that this should be temporary. Once you land a decent gig, the need for being a waiter to bring ends meet will lesson.
  • Options
    GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    Unfortunately, I'm a server (A Waiter, payed a little more than mininimum wage), any gig I get will be better than what is presented to me at the moment.

I was thinking Geek Squad, Staples, Local Repair Shop, does anyone recommended freelancing on Craigslist? It seems a lot of people on there offer repair services without certifications, so maybe I could 1 up their "game"?

Thanks
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello Techexams, I want to say thank you in advance for all your help,

I'm looking for my first IT Job and here's my "Resume" I have one, but I need to tailor it to meet an IT Job.

Me:
    7 Years Restaurant Experience (2 Years Customer Service Based)
    A+ Certification
    2 FBLA Awards (Placed Top 10 in Cyber Security in State, and Networking Concepts in State)

I'm looking for insight on where I should apply for my first job, I want to start applying to places where I won't be wasting my time to start off (Basically, where I'm qualified, no longshots, etc)

Where should I start?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks in Advance icon_cool.gif

I would post your resume on career builder, dice, and monster.
    Check jobs indeed too.

Did you go to school? Some schools have employers that they partner with.
    check Craig’s list
    Specially the technical ,systems and computer gig job sections.
    Check Internships and Internship Guidance ? Internships.com

Sometimes you can complete an internship even after have completed your degree.
    have you sent your degree to these agencies?
    Teksystems
    Robert half
    and Technisource ?
    These are recruitment IT firms that may be able to get you a job.
    Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    try looking for volunteer work
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I would go with Dice.com and start looking and sending out your resume form there. That's where I got my foot in, good luck
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Unfortunately, I'm a server (A Waiter, payed a little more than mininimum wage), any gig I get will be better than what is presented to me at the moment.

I was thinking Geek Squad, Staples, Local Repair Shop, does anyone recommended freelancing on Craigslist? It seems a lot of people on there offer repair services without certifications, so maybe I could 1 up their "game"?

Thanks

You're probably talking about offering PC repair services on craigslist, but I've actually had decent luck getting contracting jobs on there.

Job #1: A staffing company has me do hardware setup for a business and coordinate with remote helpdesk for configuration.

Job #2: An emerging PC repair company sends me customer appointments to fix their computers (almost always backing up files using a livecd and external hard drive, then reinstalling windows).

Both jobs pay about $20/hour. Neither of them offer enough hours to seriously pay the rent, but it's good experience.

You should check out craigslist everyday for new jobs. Contracting jobs can often lead to contacts that can lead to full-time jobs. That being said you're unlikely to find a REAL job on craigslist that will replace your current full-time job.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Two words. Proprietary software.

Try to get your foot into a proprietary software company. As long as you're familiar with the computing world, and the A+ says that, they can teach you to support their software. The dental, orthodontic, medical, postal...etc software companies around the country will take you in at a level 1 support or implementation position, and teach you what you need to know.

Proprietary software has plenty of need, and high turnover because people do it to get their tech start and move on. That is one place your vendor specific certs wont help out as much, and your customer service will be a plus.

Good luck.
  • Options
    natewnatew Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also be sure to check out Internship | Find Intern Jobs and Paid Internships | InternMatch. They have a great number of internship opportunities you can openly search through.