Options

How do you guys stay current.

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
With all the advances in technology, how do you guys stay current with whats going on with technology? Websites, magazines, or what have you would be appreciated.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Blogs, Forums, website, other co-workers.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    With all the advances in technology, how do you guys stay current with whats going on with technology? Websites, magazines, or what have you would be appreciated.

Try getting involved with a local group like ISSA, etc. Those kinds of meetings have helped me stay current with what is going on.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am only able to really channel on 2-3 subjects at a time. If I start getting into 5+ subjects regardless of the subject matter my retention rate really drops.

So in short I try not to take to big of bites and focus on a few technologies, but really get to know them. If for some reason I shift gears then fine, but that way I usually retain 20-40% of my subject matter previously. Now if I am using it in day to day operations I usually retain all of it.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Could you guys suggest some websites? Some times I feel out of touch with whats current. Slashdot is one website I frequent. Anything else?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What subjects are you interested in?

Find some quality blogs in whatever topic you want and subscribe to their RSS feeds. Once you find a good blog, check out the ones it links to. You'll end up with a ridiculous pool of resources in no time. There are official blogs from the organization, SMEs/enthusiasts, news organizations, user groups, and so on.

I use FeedDemon - Free Windows RSS Reader and have it linked to one of my Google accounts. It synchronizes my feeds across multiple systems. Brief tangent: I just checked for an iPhone app, but no dice. I'm going to try MobileRSS Pro, which also integrates with Google Reader.

Twitter is ok if you follow the right people. However, it can be extremely difficult to identify useful information amidst the deluge of nonsense if you're not selective with who you choose to follow.

Podcasts are great too. Assimilating a little information when you're commuting, jogging, doing chores, etc. amounts to a lot of knowledge over time. Browse Podcast directories for the material you're interested in. They're also great for foreign languages, business news, world events, etc.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    What subjects are you interested in?

Find some quality blogs in whatever topic you want and subscribe to their RSS feeds. Once you find a good blog, check out the ones it links to. You'll end up with a ridiculous pool of resources in no time. There are official blogs from the organization, SMEs/enthusiasts, news organizations, user groups, and so on.

I use FeedDemon - Free Windows RSS Reader and have it linked to one of my Google accounts. It synchronizes my feeds across multiple systems. Brief tangent: I just checked for an iPhone app, but no dice. I'm going to try MobileRSS Pro, which also integrates with Google Reader.

Twitter is ok if you follow the right people. However, it can be extremely difficult to identify useful information amidst the deluge of nonsense if you're not selective with who you choose to follow.

Podcasts are great too. Assimilating a little information when you're commuting, jogging, doing chores, etc. amounts to a lot of knowledge over time. Browse Podcast directories for the material you're interested in. They're also great for foreign languages, business news, world events, etc.

+1

I agree with podcast, they can be a great resource. I've had some eye opening experiences with them.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CodeBlox wrote: »

I stay current by being selective to be honest. There are a multitude of media out there so just take your choice on that one. Understanding what you really *need*to know and your career trajectory is important. I recall a DR consultant telling me back in 1999 that you must not try and chase technology when we got on to the subject of how much time we both spent reading up on stuff over lunch. He was quite right about that, it's futile, and the more bases you try and cover the less quality understanding you will truly obtain. Deep knowledge requires time, there's no getting away from that and we all have limited time on the clock to do anything. Pushing it too far can send you to the funny farm. I think it gets a little easier with experience as you have a nose for what you need to know and can leverage what you already worked with in the field.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    What are some good IT podcasts you guys have found?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I like podcast as well. I have been reading books since I started my cert path, so I am trying to avoid to read books or magazines.

For networking:
    Packet pushers (my favorite)
    INE
    Gordon and Mike

The rest are:
    Podnutz (they have a variety of different types of podcast)
    Linux reality
    Going Linux.
    Frostbite (downloaded, but I haven't listen to them yet.)

I wonder what podcast you guys are listening to.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do I stay current?

I don't, I improvise on the spot and adapt quickly, like a polar bear.

Except in this scenario, my home hasn't melted away. And I am not a polar bear.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use several different sources to stay current: blogs, forums, websites, other co-workers, podcasts, and sometimes reading magazines while at book store. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like the linux magazine. It helps me to stay current

They prepare very usefull articles.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How do I stay current? Read, read and read some more. While most people are screwing off on facespace I'm reading tech articles or whitepapers.

Jaluri is a great recourse for networking folks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    fredlwalfredlwal Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know of any windows 7 podcast or webinar ?
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    How do I stay current? Read, read and read some more. While most people are screwing off on facespace I'm reading tech articles or whitepapers.

Good find networker! Jaluri seems like an awesome read.... I'm sinced bookmarked it! :)

As for staying current... I discuss things with peers, read online\books\documents, lab scenarios up, sign up to email summaries from relevant learning networks (Cisco, Juniper, Linux etc...)

As many have said... you've got to pace yourself though and choose a select few subjects that you want real depth of knowledge in....

Jack of all trades...master of none.... is not what you want to become...

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□

^ Exactly This. Whilst I don't begrudge anyone spending time out and surfing the net, it still amazes me how many IT folk just mess about and visit FB, Youtube etc during office hours. If you have time to do that, you are wasting 'free' study time - in working hours! Are you mad!? ;)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    bertieb wrote: »
    ^ Exactly This. Whilst I don't begrudge anyone spending time out and surfing the net, it still amazes me how many IT folk just mess about and visit FB, Youtube etc during office hours. If you have time to do that, you are wasting 'free' study time - in working hours! Are you mad!? ;)

I'm sure they're just thinking, "Man, can't wait for this work day to end so I can go back home and study!"
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

Aggregators are great. I wasn't aware of that one, thanks a lot.

Security Bloggers Network ? All the security news fit to print is an excellent resource for any security enthusiasts (and http://www.getmon.com/ for podcasts).