Options

No Responses to Resume

CamtheChampCamtheChamp Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am getting a little frustrated that I haven't recieved a single response to my resume since I revamped it with the help of my universities resume critiquing services. I think they may not have had much experience writing IT resumes.

With my old resume, I was getting a call from about half the entry level help desk/deskside positions I applied to. My company is outsourcing, I may get laid off soon so I am applying to anything comparable to what I am at right now or slightly better.

I change the objective to relate to the job I am applying for.

My previous design was quite unique, it really stuck out compared to most resumes but still looked professional.

I would appreciate it if some of you would take a look and see if I should change or add something that would be expected for IT positions.

I must be blind, I can't find a way to upload files. Here is a link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7568827/Resume%20-%20No%20Info.docx

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi,

I am getting a little frustrated that I haven't recieved a single response to my resume since I revamped it with the help of my universities resume critiquing services. I think they may not have had much experience writing IT resumes.

With my old resume, I was getting a call from about half the entry level help desk/deskside positions I applied to. My company is outsourcing, I may get laid off soon so I am applying to anything comparable to what I am at right now or slightly better.

My previous design was quite unique, it really stuck out compared to most resumes but still looked professional.

I would appreciate it if some of you would take a look and see if I should change or add something that would be expected for IT positions.

I must be blind, I can't find a way to upload files. Here is a link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7568827/Resume%20-%20No%20Info.docx

I think sometimes people can get too hung up on resumes. What is more important is how you are using it. Where are you sending it? Are you doing any cold calling of local firms or simply posting on job boards.
  • Options
    CamtheChampCamtheChamp Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right now I am applying to jobs on dice.com, my universities job board and occasionally careerbuilder.com. I have applied to a few jobs that I have found out about through networking with people as well.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right now I am applying to jobs on dice.com, my universities job board and occasionally careerbuilder.com. I have applied to a few jobs that I have found out about through networking with people as well.

Its not enough. Everyone does that mate. Spend a day at the local library with the yellow pages for your area and adjoining areas. Photocopy, make lists, start firing cover letters and CVs out, make phone calls and drop into companies asking to speak to the Boss.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep applying to as many places and you can and be persistent. You will find the job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never gotten much of s response applying through the job boards. Maybe one out of ten.

What has worked a lot better for me is applying straight to the company. If I see a place has a position on a job board I'll go straight to their website to find a contact even if the job isn't listed there. I get a response about nine out of ten times that way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've never gotten much of s response applying through the job boards. Maybe one out of ten.

What has worked a lot better for me is applying straight to the company. If I see a place has a position on a job board I'll go straight to their website to find a contact even if the job isn't listed there. I get a response about nine out of ten times that way.

Response from emailing someone at their website, or snail-mail, or calling the contact?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    westward wrote: »
    Response from emailing someone at their website, or snail-mail, or calling the contact?

Any of the above. If there is a number listed call them. If not, email/snail mail. I'm sure they get an overwhelming amount of resumes through the job site method and probably don't take the time to read through them all. A more personal approach is probably more likely to get extra attention.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Any of the above. If there is a number listed call them. If not, email/snail mail. I'm sure they get an overwhelming amount of resumes through the job site method and probably don't take the time to read through them all. A more personal approach is probably more likely to get extra attention.

Have a phone interview set up on Monday by doing this exact tactic. Saw the opening, went to businesses website and sent resume directly to the hiring manager listed. Placed a call and left a message asking when I can set up an interview. Got the response back the next day setting up the interview. Now let's hope my current job doesn't hold me back from getting this one, trying to get out of the help desk and into a NOC type spot.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    westwardwestward Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The depersonalization these days has gotten out of hand. People staring at resumes all day online. icon_rolleyes.gif

What a stupid way to figure out who a person really is.

If I ever ran a company, I'd never except resumes, I'd require in person meetings, where the applicant would get 3 minutes to "sell me" on employing them.

You're idea is spot on - break the ice and meet someone face to face. Or voice to voice.

I am quite certain almost NOBODY gets a job via online means. I think it's all a lie.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd require in person meetings, where the applicant would get 3 minutes to "sell me" on employing them.
    And if you received 500 resumes for the job you'd talk to them all? Or if you didn't have time to see them all, what fair method would you use -- first come, first serve for the first 50 or 100?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi,

I would say drop this…
    High School Diploma Miami, FL
    Homeschool May 2007
    You are already in college, so it’s obvious you graduated from high school.

Change certifications to Professional development
    Something like this…..

PROFESSIONAL CompTIA Network+, CompTIA A+ Technician, and Dell Repair Technician
    DEVELOPMENT Certified.
    an

Fix your work experience section, it is a little confusing.
    Company 3 Miami, FL
    IT Technician October 2001 – August 2007
    • Maintained IT Equipment
    WhaT type of IT equipment? What else did you do?
    I hope this helps

PS-I have had the best luck with craigs list. I haven't gotten any interveiws or replys from career builder. However, I have gotten 3 interveiws and a volunteer gig from Craigs List. Again it's a small pool of canidates. Also, check if you school helps graduates get jobs, but check at all of your schools. Typically your applying for jobs that have a smaller job applicant pool.

good luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If I ever ran a company, I'd never except resumes, I'd require in person meetings, where the applicant would get 3 minutes to "sell me" on employing them.

What would you get out of a job seeker in 3x minutes? A broken record of buzz words like "extensive knowledge", "focused", "dedicated", "hard worker", "enthusiastic", etc, which will tell you nothing about their skillset or personality. It also goes the other way; you need to sell your company to the worker.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The depersonalization these days has gotten out of hand. People staring at resumes all day online. icon_rolleyes.gif

What a stupid way to figure out who a person really is.

You're idea is spot on - break the ice and meet someone face to face. Or voice to voice.

I am quite certain almost NOBODY gets a job via online means. I think it's all a lie.

Oh no! My job is a lie and I obviously didn't get this job because I sent in a resume online!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll be honest

Everyone of my IT jobs they have found me. Everytime I go out and try to get one I come up short. Even when I know someone at the company I still come up short, but when I throw my resume out there and let the companies come to me I have had my best success.

Wierd isn't it?!
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some companies don't have software that can read .docx files. If you can save it as .doc
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    HÆLLRÆZORHÆLLRÆZOR Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Monster.com seems to be pretty good. In the last year ive gotten over 300 looks at my resume and a lot of those looks have turned into calls and e-mails asking to setup interviews. So give monster.com a look.