Options

Using tablets at work

Howling MonkeyHowling Monkey Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone use tablets at work? I'm trying to fight of the need to buy the pretty shiny gadgets, but if they are useful I would take the plunge.

I'm working with servers and end-users.
This is the end and the beginning

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So far i have tried it using RDP sessions back to my local desktop at work and it works better for home usages using VPN.

I have an iPad 1st gen, so there are no USB ports. I cannot comment on the other vendor tablets.

I have been more interested in buying a Macbook AIR. 7 hour battery life, paper thin laptop, all the ports i need, except a damn ethernet port! you would have to buy that USB to Ethernet port , Apple sells. That is the only draw back.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    in theory it could work how ever the hardware and os limitations are to great for me to justify a cost of 500+

when there are things coming out this year that would work better such as news SAMSUNG
    converts from a tablet to a netbook and back, it also has the needed usb/ethernet ports as well as a full os not a phone-type os
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My current job is the first job where I don't have a tablet and I miss my old one. Once you sit in the datacenter and you need to make a survey of powerbars vs. Server vs. Database from behind a rack you realise that you can't without :p

At the moment I have only my iPad but hope I can afford a Lenovo tablet again at some point.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p