2512 vs 2511 for terminal server

Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether there is any snag or problem with using a 2512 vs a 2511 for an AS. Basically, the 2512's go for much cheaper and I'm not really sure why. It's not like people buying the 2511 are using them for anything other AS's (from what I can tell), so I must be missing something.

Appreciate any tips or comments anyone might have. I saw several threads when I searched this topic regarding the benefits of whether to go with one of the 2509/10/11/12 models, or grab a NM-16 or 32A and toss it in an open slot. I also saw the Lantronic that cooper put together (very cool), but those have climbed in price considerably since he posted that information, haha. Anyway, I'm looking for the reasons the 2511 appears to be so much more desirable (and expensive) in comparison to the 2512. Thanks, all.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2512 is Token Ring. The 2511 is Ethernet. If you're just going to use a console cable attached to the 251[12] then either will work.

If you want to access all your devices attached to the access server at the same time (say in your tabbed Telnet client or separate telnet windows), you can telnet to the IP of the access server and port (line number of each device) -- so you'd need either Token Ring in your lab or you'd have to connect the 2512 via Serial Port to another router and route through that.

If you're just going to use a console cable attached to the console port of the access server and access everything in one telnet window (and use the control sequence to jump between sessions), then they'd work the same.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok, that makes sense. I knew there was an angle I wasn't considering. Thank you for the help.

I may just end up going with a NM-16a. I'm still shopping around, though, so I'm not sure yet. I remember initially thinking that I would have no need for an acess server, but all I can say is that my lab is growing quickly and I can tell I'm going to need more room soon. My wife isn't particularly impressed, though. :D

Anyway, thanks again.