Options

SDM Necessary??

-DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
Well guys just wanted to know whether SDM of routers and CDM for switches Just for the knowledge part or are they implemented in the actual exam . I had thought CLI was the only thing i had to perfect , but this SDM pops here up at the end of the chapter showing the SHORTCUT icon_lol.gif and making my life easier . I was just wondering whether this graphical interface is gonna be their on my Actual CCNA test or not? :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Jas21Jas21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Someone else may have a better idea than me, but I don't think so. I think you just have to be aware of the concept of using SDM to configure things like your DHCP scope etc. I don't think there is a way of testing it on the exam(s)

But like I say, that may be incorrect and I'm sure someone more learned than me will be along in a momemt! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    noo!!!! well there are some questions in some cisco test about it, but SDM in real world i would never use it it makes messy configs and there is alot of informartion missing sometimes when you pull it up
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SDM is still listed in the exam topics on the official blueprint at Cisco. Whenever you're in doubt about what is or isn't fair game for a Cisco exam, consult the official blueprint. Pick the exam you are working on, and navigate your way to the exam topics:

IT Certification - Cisco - Cisco Systems

For example:
    Configure and apply ACLs based on network filtering requirements.(including: CLI/SDM)
  • Options
    -DeXteR--DeXteR- Member Posts: 130
    Ok i went through blue print ,quite a few topics says CLI/SDM . But i still don't get it how can SDM be implemented in the Actual Exam . Do They wan't to make our lives easier in their or they want us to get totally messed up out their!!icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    milanchatterjeemilanchatterjee Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    -DeXteR- wrote: »
    Ok i went through blue print ,quite a few topics says CLI/SDM . But i still don't get it how can SDM be implemented in the Actual Exam . Do They wan't to make our lives easier in their or they want us to get totally messed up out their!!icon_lol.gif

Hi
    This is the main confusing thing which is making my life harder. Cisco is saying that they are withdrawing the SDM from the Objectives and real life too but they are displaying it in the exam blur print.

What my suggestion is that, since this information is in Cisco's own site and no other site, we treat the information as authentic and official. Until and unless, we do not see the word CLI/SDM removed from the official blue-print, we will believe no body else and we take it that SDM may be cropping up in the exam and we proceed accordingly.

I am at least taking the stand and proceeding accordingly.

What you guys say?

MIlan Chatterjee
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    SDM is worthless IMO. Not sure about the CCNA exam, but SDM knowledge won't really help you in the real world.
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    its stupid i think. you can play around with everything else but sdm is near impossible to setup and get running seems most latest java's wont even run it. if i wanted to learn gui's i wouldnt be doing cisco. if its on my exam i wont be to happy. CLI gives you a feeling of worth lol. gui's just make you feel worthless and like the rest of the population. well thats how i feel about it anyway.

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi
    This is the main confusing thing which is making my life harder. Cisco is saying that they are withdrawing the SDM from the Objectives and real life too but they are displaying it in the exam blur print.

I have not heard or read anything official from Cisco stating this, so I can't comment on it. I've heard Cisco announce new exams, but I've never heard an announcement that an existing exam is changing. So I don't expect the 640-802, 604-816 or the 640-822 to drastically change.
    What my suggestion is that, since this information is in Cisco's own site and no other site, we treat the information as authentic and official. Until and unless, we do not see the word CLI/SDM removed from the official blue-print, we will believe no body else and we take it that SDM may be cropping up in the exam and we proceed accordingly.

I am at least taking the stand and proceeding accordingly.

What you guys say?

MIlan Chatterjee

That's what we've been saying all along every time someone asks if they still have to know SDM. We point them to that page and tell them they should know everything listed there. You'd be a fool to go sit down for an exam without properly preparing yourself for every single topic that is on the list and therefore fair game to be asked about.

If I told you that I didn't get any questions about Hubs on my exam, would anyone take that to mean that Cisco isn't covering Hubs anymore? But yet a couple people break the NDA (let's not forget this point) and say they didn't see anything about SDM and everybody wants to assume that Cisco's not asking about it anymore. Silly assumptions like that lead to people starting threads about failing the exam. Hubs have been off the market a lot longer than SDM and we still take the time to learn about them.

Here's the news flash. You will get 50 questions on your exam, but yet there are 75 bullet points on the 802-640 topic list (unless I miscounted), and everybody gets a different set of questions. You may not see questions that cover all 75 bullet points, and if your question pool misses one, it probably won't be the same one mine misses, and vice versa.

Cliffs notes: Don't be an idiot. Study all of the topics, even the ones you think are stupid or worthless.