Options

How long to prep?

tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
I've been waiting for the actual finished CCVP guides to come out and twiddling my thumbs and have finally decided to do something about it. I know I could start with the rough cuts etc but I think my studies would be easier if all the material was published on paper and things like CBT nuggets and maybe third party guides were also available.

How long do you think it would take to prep for the CCNA security cert? Just give you a gauge it took me 3 months to prep for CCNA Voice IIUC. If I could do it in three months that would be pretty well perfect.

I've got a Cisco 1841, and 1811 which I believe both run SDM and I have one 2950 plus some other older gear to use as well. (2900xl, 1760, 2611) Is this sufficient?

Thanks!
:)

Comments

• Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    A month and a half should be sufficient.

You should be able to lab up everything I believe with what you have except pvlans but reading about it should be enough.

Also make sure the IOS you have supports Zone based firewall.
  • Options
    1.5 months! I'll see if I can live up to your expectations... ;)

Study guide ordered from chapters, Check
    Correct IOS loaded Check
    Not talking to wife for 4 weeks Check

D
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ha, that's hilarious... Not the time frame but the fact your not talking to your wife!!! I know you didn't mean it literally but it's amazing how some of us 'shut off from the world' when we pursue a cert, I am guilty of this also :)

Regarding the timeframe, 1.5 months looks sufficient... I haven't done this one yet but it's what I'm working toasted currently...

Good luck :)
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took me about 1.5 months of everyday study and lab for hours to prep for the exam. As long as you put the time into it everyday you should be fine. Follow the blueprint during your studies.

Also, the gear you have should be enough for the lab material. I have a 1841 and it supports SDM, so yours should be good to go.

Good luck!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck man! I have my eyes on this too. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other.

I'm using:

Amazon.com: Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (978158705815icon_cool.gif: Catherine Paquet: Books
    Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books
    Notes from a user way back when
    Packet Tracer and GNS3 (For SDM if I can find 2.5 lol)
  • Options
    Cool ya works for me. I just got the Wallace study guide which I should have researched more before I ordered but I think I'll be okay.

I generally follow a system whereby I read the entire study guide cover to cover labbing as I hit sections it applies then do the entire practice test. Once done that I go back to the weak areas and cram.

Hopefully I can get this done in about 2 months max so I can start CCVP. We'll see though. I'm not going to put a bunch of time in and then jump ship without finishing.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    The hardest part of the Securty track is just keeping all the key terms strait. Especially if your not use to using the vocabulary everyday or haven't had much exposure to cryptography. That's what I have the most difficulty with.