Options

640-801 Failed 3 times

rviscosirviscosi Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am beyond frustrated at this point.

* I have taken 640-801 3 times now and failed each time.
* the first 2 I took - scored 807. The most recent (yesterday) - I scored 815
* Question: I understand the Simulators (2) have more WEIGHT than the other questions.
* Does anyone who which category the SIMS fall under - Technology/Troubleshooting?
* Question on OSPF configuration - when do you use WILDCARD MASK of ALL 0's. I know referencing all 0's - sets just the interface, not the network - but how do you know when to use the Network mask?
* Need some good NAT configuration reference material - the Boson Simulators, and CISCO Press books do not cover it in enough detail for test.
* TRYING To motivate myself not to give up on this - getting more and more difficult to do after each failed attempt.

Any suggestions or words of advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    What study material have you used?
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    I have used Cisco Press Series (2 books - ICND and INTRO), Boson Simulator, CCNA Fast Pass, and researching multiple sites online. I have taken NUMEROUS practice tests and have done pretty well on all of them.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they give you the areas that you have done in a simple break down do you see a pattern.. among these areas?

are you freezing up when the "begin" button appears? ..reason i ask is that you may need to do some relaxation techniques before the test
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    I have not done so great on Technology or Troubleshooting - that is why I was wondering where the Simulators fall (which category). I know I could not answer 1 of the 2 Simulators yesterday - was not prepared for question at all.

I was a little nervous going into it - but once I sat down - felt OK. More anxious than anything else - I have put so much time into this that I just want it to be done.

Any idea if Simulators carry more weight than other questions?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the sims do carry more wieght than some of the questions but for the most part get a test sim like TRANS.. u know and do more area focus tests to provide you with that area that you are weak in.. also you don't have to pass all areas to pass the 801 but you most score high enough in the other areas to cover the area that you weak in...

ex. area 1- 100%
    area 2- 90%
    area 3- 60 %
    area 4- 70%

you the average is about 80% this is just to give you an idea
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Well I'm not sure about that but I guess they should. Why would a simple bit have the same weight as a simulation of a real world scenario?

A good way to check up on whether you’re familiar with all the material in the exam is to get the exam objectives and tick off any areas you don't feel comfortable with. Then you can go and focus on those areas until you feel comfortable with them.

If there are specific areas you dread, then you should put your emphasis on those respective areas until they dread you. icon_rolleyes.gif (well, whatever)

All I have to say is that I don't believe it's very easy to pass the exam. On the same note, I don't believe it's easy to fail it 3 times. Give yourself a good checkup and take a shot at it again. (perhaps you might want to go the ICND INTRO track.)

Best of luck,

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Another question: In regards to ACL's - best to apply an ACL closest to source (Router A / Ethernet / INbound) rather than have it go across network to distant end and apply ACL there (Router B / Ethernet / Outbound), correct?
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    rviscosi wrote:
    Another question: In regards to ACL's - best to apply an ACL closest to source (Router A / Ethernet / INbound) rather than have it go across network to distant end and apply ACL there (Router B / Ethernet / Outbound), correct?

not really, but almost correct.
    the closest source could means any interface on any router where you have the administrative control.
    example :
    think you have 2500A on the HQ ( where you stand ) - and 2500B,C on remote sites which you have administrative control. which the closest source of traffic? or any criteria of traffic you want to control...
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    gaiter83gaiter83 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rviscosi wrote:

From the 640-507 Sybex book, it says to put the standard IP access lists closest to destination and the extended IP access lists closest to source.

If I'm not mistaken...
    B.Sc. - Computer Science/Math
    A+, CCNA

Plans of getting MCSE and CCSP
  • Options
    schismschism Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep you apply standard ACL's as close to the destination as possible. Why? Because they can only filter on source address, so you could filter out everything if you place it in the wrong place.

Extended ACL's on the other hand can filter on destination/source/port, so you put it as close to the source as possible, that way your saving time as the packets need not be routed across a network before being inspected.
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'll probably break the record for most failed attempts heh...so don't feel bad. Don't give up and soon you'll see the CCNA certification framed hanging on your wall. When you do pass go out and treat yourself to a beer or whatever.
  • Options
    my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    hang in there rviscosi..
    you can do it..failing three times doesnt meant that you will fail the next time..try again...i heard others fail more than you can even imagine...learn from mistakes..i really believe you can do it..all the practises and the sim will help get you thru...just believe..nomatter what happen...