Options

CCNA Thread

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well, I figured if I started writing about my studies each night I would hold my self more accountable. My goal is to crush the CCENT in the next two months and begin on ICND2 (CCNA).

My girl actually slept for more than 3 hours last night icon_cheers.gif Hopefully that is a good sign and I can begin to put in some serious study time.

Subnetting has for some reason not fully sunk in yet. Tonight I'm going reread Todd Lammle's chapters on Subnetting and than Chris Bryant's sections.

Back to the books.... icon_study.gif

Oh, and I saw on Amazon that Todd Lammle's latest CCNA book is to come out on the 5th. Do you think it's worth getting this or just save ten bucks and get the older one?

edit: Spent an hour on the phone this evening talking to a friend in Michigan. I think he definitely helped me get a better idea of the implementation of subnetting.

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I've used for CCNA studies and it's great! You get both books for ICND1 AND ICND2 in this package for $35.00 new. It's Wendel Odoms.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Certification-Library-640-802-Containing/dp/1587201836/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300756532&sr=8-1
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh, and I saw on Amazon that Todd Lammle's latest CCNA book is to come out on the 5th. Do you think it's worth getting this or just save ten bucks and get the older one?

There hasn't been any changes to the exam since the previous edition was released, so I can't imagine there would be that much difference. Typos, better clarification, etc.

How bad do you need the $10? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    There hasn't been any changes to the exam since the previous edition was released, so I can't imagine there would be that much difference. Typos, better clarification, etc.

How bad do you need the $10? icon_lol.gif

Enough to not buy the new book icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Achieved zero study time yesterday night. Work project kept me late and my baby daughter was having a crying spell.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Achieved zero study time yesterday night. Work project kept me late and my baby daughter was having a crying spell.

When are you taking the ICND1? According to your signature, you're doing the 2 part route. I also notice that you're studying for ICND2/Security however. I assume you're finished your ICND1 studies?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Subnetting has for some reason not fully sunk in yet. Tonight I'm going reread Todd Lammle's chapters on Subnetting and than Chris Bryant's sections.

Don't forget this thread. IT made my subnetting ridiculously simple.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't forget this thread. IT made my subnetting ridiculously simple.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html

Agree, but it doesn't cover certain topics like how many hosts or subnets. The only way I can find to attack those questions is good old binary. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    okplaya wrote: »
    When are you taking the ICND1? According to your signature, you're doing the 2 part route. I also notice that you're studying for ICND2/Security however. I assume you're finished your ICND1 studies?

I wish icon_wink.gif

No that path is my goal for this year which I need to speed up with I want to do the SSCP in the first quarter of 2012. :)
  • Options
    Host per subnet is easy, (2^x) - 2 where 'x' equals the number of host bits.

Say you needed 45 host per subnet. You would need 6 host bits because 2^6 = 64. You can't use 2^5 because thats only 32. Assuming class C, 6 host bits yields a mask of /26. Each subnet would support 62 host. With that mask in class C, there are 4 subnets available since you have 2 subnet bits which would be 2^2=4.
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    Agree, but it doesn't cover certain topics like how many hosts or subnets. The only way I can find to attack those questions is good old binary. Am I wrong?

What part of how many hosts and subnets are you getting confused with?

Remember that you will never ever touch the network bits (Class A, B, C) the rest are host bits.

Count from left to right the number of subnet bits by the powers of 2 and that will tell you how many subnets you have. Count from right to left the number of 0 bits to the power of two and subtract 2 and you will have your number of hosts. 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048, etc
  • Options
    Oh I know how to do that guys. I'm just saying that SubnettingEasy doesn't answer every subnetting question.
  • Options
    Question for you subnetting geniuses (I hope to be one someday icon_wink.gif,) say I have this kind of subnetting scheme going:

attachment.php?attachmentid=941&stc=1&d=1300930803

Obviously the space between 128.200.32 and 128.200.64 will be a range of IPs but what happens with the fourth octet??? Are we going with a range like this:

128.200.32.1 - 128.200.64.0 ? In other words an IP address like 128.200.33.40 would be a valid IP address in that range?
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Each column there is its own subnet. So you can't include addresses with x.x.64 with addresses from x.x.32. The last possible address for the network 128.200.32.0 would be 128.200.63.255 - which is the broadcast address. The last possible address a host could use would be 128.200.63.254

Question for you - What is the network mask?
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Obviously the space between 128.200.32 and 128.200.64 will be a range of IPs but what happens with the fourth octet??? Are we going with a range like this:

128.200.32.1 - 128.200.64.0 ? In other words an IP address like 128.200.33.40 would be a valid IP address in that range?
    You were almost there. I think you understood that 128.200.32.0 was the network address, because you started with 128.200.32.1 as the first valid host. It's the same way with the last address. 128.200.64.0 is actually the start of the next range, 128.200.64.0-128.200.96.0.

So the address right before it, 128.200.63.255, is the broadcast address. The 2nd address before it, 128.200.63.254, is the last valid host address. So you have:
    Network address - 128.200.32.0
    First host address - 128.200.32.1
    Last host address - 128.200.63.254
    Broadcast address - 128.200.63.255

Note that an addresses like 128.200.41.255 are valid host addresses now.
  • Options
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    You were almost there. I think you understood that 128.200.32.0 was the network address, because you started with 128.200.32.1 as the first valid host. It's the same way with the last address. 128.200.64.0 is actually the start of the next range, 128.200.64.0-128.200.96.0.

So the address right before it, 128.200.63.255, is the broadcast address. The 2nd address before it, 128.200.63.254, is the last valid host address. So you have:
    Network address - 128.200.32.0
    First host address - 128.200.32.1
    Last host address - 128.200.63.254
    Broadcast address - 128.200.63.255

Note that an addresses like 128.200.41.255 are valid host addresses now.

Thanks! That was bugging me as I watch the Odom video. I don't really have any on the job experience with Cisco so I'm learning it as I go along.

Off subject: I went through DFW airport on my way to Irving, TX and that is one VERY big airport. I looked it up on Google Maps and I'm convinced the airport is bigger than the city I live in... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Off subject: I went through DFW airport on my way to Irving, TX and that is one VERY big airport. I looked it up on Google Maps and I'm convinced the airport is bigger than the city I live in... icon_lol.gif

What they say about everything in Texas is true...

But yeah, for example, Manhattan fits inside DFW airport. (Manhattan ~23 sm, DFW airport ~30 sm). Actually Denver airport is even bigger than DFW airport.

When you're going back through make sure you take some time and hit terminal D.

MS
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Haha, yeah. I've been in it briefly only a few times to pick up relatives and whatnot.

Veritas - You might check out Jeremy Cioara's subnetting example doc. Be careful not to learn a new method completely, or get them mixed up, but it might help put some things together. I technically learned Odom's method, but watched the CBT Nuggets after reading the ICND1 press book, so also got a bit of Cioara's I think.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/6014-102-1-19236/Subnetting%20Examples.pdf
  • Options
    Question for you subnetting geniuses (I hope to be one someday icon_wink.gif,) say I have this kind of subnetting scheme going:

attachment.php?attachmentid=941&stc=1&d=1300930803

I'd like to make a little comment using your address space as an example: Don't let IP addresses like "128.200.40.0" confuse you. That is in the 128.200.32.0 /19 network and is not a subnet in the case of the /19

I say that because when I learned how to subnet, something like that confused me. Here is another valid IP address: 10.3.0.0 /14. With a mask of 255.252.0.0 that is an IP address and could be assigned to a host :)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was having a bit of trouble with subnetting, but after reading Todd's chapter in the CCNA book, it all makes sense now - that's what I get for looking at MS subnetting icon_wink.gif
    I just wrote out all the examples and would change them slightly until it just clicked. Now I can do a lot in my head, which I've heard is essential for the exam.
  • Options
    Read through some more subnetting stuff yesterday and only got more confused :p

Today: Started reading Chris Bryant's CCNA material and now it's beginning to really sink in. You might say a light-bulb lit up. Well, if it weren't for subnetting I think I could nail this exam in another week. I want to be dead certain I know subnetting so I don't waste money on an exam. Work will reimburse it if I pass, so I like the idea of getting my money back icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    What's up? Any updates?
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a dream about subnetting last night.

icon_cry.gif
    :twisted:
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    darkerz wrote: »

icon_cry.gif

That's just the first of many. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    darkerz wrote: »

icon_cry.gif

You and me both.

I'm currently looking over more subnetting material and trying to soak it in. I'm going to register for a test date tomorrow and hope that I can soak in by practice what I need before the exam.

Back to the books... icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Long (read VERY) day. It's one of those work days where you would prefer it to be Friday. I'm hoping I can muster up a little bit of study time tonight.
  • Options
    The Todd Lammle CCNA book came in the mail today. This has me excited and I'm feeling the urge to get the CCENT out of the way. I'm going to book an exam date tonight after my studies icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Todd Lammle CCNA book came in the mail today. This has me excited and I'm feeling the urge to get the CCENT out of the way. I'm going to book an exam date tonight after my studies icon_thumright.gif

Keep the progress comin bro! :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep it up dude. I'm gonna start studying for this as soon as I get my MCITP out of the way. Get 'R done.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tech Republic Subnetting B Class article is very good. While the teacher was teaching the class how to do it I just read that while she was talking and understood it.
  • Options
    My brain is too fried to do any studying tonight. I will try to get back to it tomorrow.