CBT Nuggets

EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I haven't used CBT Nuggets in the past to complete my certifications, but I feel like it might be the way to go this time around to complete my Server MCITP: Server Administrator certification.

What is your opinion of CBT Nuggets? Did you find it useful? Was it worth the cost?

I appreciate the feedback.

Comments

  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't used CBT Nuggets but have heard it is very good. I have used Labsim and consider it very good.
    If I were you I'd check to see when they are updating their material to incorporate R2. Compare the prices for the various choices and go with your best choice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I can only speak of the cisco CBT nuggets. In my view they are excellent, the instructor for the CCNA ones is highly regarded around the Cisco forums. If the quality and teaching of the others are as good as Jeremy's. They are worth investing in. Hopefully someone with experience of that particular series can give feedback. As not all instructors are equal. But in general I wouldn't hesitate to buy other series.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

    Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have both, the CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal for Exchange 2010 (662 and 663) and I found the CBT Nuggets way too short and it seemed to scratch the surface only.

    Although it certainly depends what your previous knowledge is.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've used several CBTnuggets for several certs and they have been great. The authors can be different. I did not care for the ITIL person, but CCNA and MSCA's were great.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I talked with a sales person from CBT who told me the updated R2 videos are in production. I'm going to hold off until they are finished and work on my C|EH instead.

    I appreciate the feedback and will be picking them up when I begin the process to upgrade my MCSA.
  • andrew09andrew09 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also found CBT nuggets to be too short, not enough detail. Trainsignal is EXCELLENT! I used CBT for my first few exams and once I discovered Trainsignal, I did not turn back! Very well done in my opinion.
    Completed: [A+:2009, MCP, MCSA:2003, MCTS x6, MCITP:EDA7]

    Studying for: [MCITP:SA (646), MCITP:EA (643, 647)]
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    andrew09 wrote: »
    I also found CBT nuggets to be too short, not enough detail. Trainsignal is EXCELLENT! I used CBT for my first few exams and once I discovered Trainsignal, I did not turn back! Very well done in my opinion.

    I actually found it the other way around. Sure the TS videos are longer but a lot of the video's are full of "fluff". Plus the TS stuff is pretty basic and has contained errors on a few video series. TS videos are more for beginners whereas CBT nuggets gets very detailed.

    I used the CBT Nuggets for my 2008 exams and can highly recommend them. I was very dissapointed with the TS W2K8 videos as well as their SCCM video series.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's not about the franchise, it's about the instructor. Jeremy in CBT is very effective due to his energy and excitement. Others aren't so good.

    My personal favourite for the MCSE was Zach in TestOut; it just worked for me because he explained things in a way that kept me interested. Doesn't mean any of the other TestOut guys will be any good though.
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    I've used several CBTnuggets for several certs and they have been great. The authors can be different. I did not care for the ITIL person, but CCNA and MSCA's were great.

    I use CBT Nuggets for MCITP videos by James Conrad who also does MSCA videos. I just checked out CCNA video and the guy doing videos is much better than Conrad -- not just in presentation/deliverye but the organization of material as well. I and others I know use Conrad's videos seem to think he just speaks way too fast and at times too much. I call him "motor-mouth". icon_smile.gif

    LabSim's material is broken down into shorter modules/sections while CBT Nuggets is just one video per topic making it very monotonous. LabSims aren't just videos. They have simulations and practice tests and a practice exams -- one full test, several module/domain exams at the end. If you manage to get an educational discount (by enrolling in a school or other ways), each course is around $50. So, way better deal compared to Trainsignal training videos which can cost about $300. Several schools also have free CBT Nuggets because they buy subscription.

    As for Trainsignal, the presentation style of instructor for 70-640 (AD) is quiet good but the videos might be too dumbed down at times for anyone with a little experience.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used the CBT Nuggets extensively for CCNA/CCNP studies, and as others have said, it's only because of Jeremy Cioara.

    He is simply, awesome.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have used lab sim/test out and love them. I wouldn’t have passed my A+ or Network+ without them. I believe they truly do offer the all in one experience and you feel like you’re actually in the class room with the instructor. Having a progress bar, info sheets, and labs really helps set them apart from other CBT providers. My college used them too, for lab experience. I’m kind of scared to use CBT nuggets because the way they write all over the white board with black erasable marker seems somewhat unorganized.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

    --Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • rgxrgx Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here, I like CBT Nuggets much better than Trainsignal as they're much more streamlined. And unlike Trainsignal ones, if it's a MCSE level course, it won't teach you how to set up tcp/ip properties for network connection, you should now that already.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I used the CBT Nuggets extensively for CCNA/CCNP studies, and as others have said, it's only because of Jeremy Cioara.

    He is simply, awesome.

    I second this Jeremy is awesome. With that being said I typically read a chapter of Cisco press first then go watch the Nug, works greaticon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cbt nuggets is the best
    highly recomended.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the CBT Nuggets for the CCNA and SWITCH to be invaluable in my studies.
    Lab on!
  • jfmcaninchjfmcaninch Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say if there is a demo for Trainsignal, CBT Nuggets and Testout to evaluate delivery methods (may not be on the subject matter that interest you per se) look at them all.

    I used to use CBT nuggets, but fell in love with Testout. I like the labsim material, sort of like marrying the classroom and lab into one product. In the end, which ever one doesn't lull you to sleep when you work a long day and study at night is the best one.
    Currently studying for 70-410 hoping to write June 2016 with end goal of MCSE:Server Infrastructure
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets and IMO Nuggets is better, though now that the tests have updated R2 content I would not purchase them until they revise their courses for R2.

    The revised 70-643 & 70-680 videos from Train Signal are better but using those alone will NOT be enough for passing the exams. The 70-680 in particular was fairly complete but the rest of the series is a little light on content and does NOT map to the "Skills Measured" objectives set by Microsoft.

    CBT Nuggets will most likely be a while before any new R2 content videos are released so right now it kind of sucks if you are looking to purchase MCITP Video training. You can still learn a lot from it but their statement of " - as it fully prepares you for all five MCITP exams" is not accurate anymore and I told them that.

    Microsoft MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 Certification Package (Windows 7)

    I would say to anyone considering buying either package right now to pass the MCITP exams, be prepared to find other resources to fill in the gaps. If I was going to purchase just one, CBT Nuggets would be my choice.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165
    Zillatech wrote: »
    I have both Train Signal and CBT Nuggets and IMO Nuggets is better, though now that the tests have updated R2 content I would not purchase them until they revise their courses for R2.

    Do you or anyone else know when 2008 R2 content will be available on the Nuggets?

    From what I hear from either Nuggets or TS, Nuggets by far is king. I get TestOut/LabSim through WGU, but I'm trying to "one shot, one kill" the MS exams, just like I have been doing with everything else. I have already set up a Failover Cluster on 2008 R2 (which by the way, is pretty friggin sweet...I love how even the error messages are much more descriptive than in prior O/Ses [though even then it's not terribly difficult]).

    I don't have a problem spending $199 a month (that will force me to pass those sucker in a sweet time frame). I just want to know when R2 will be available. Otherwise, I can work on my Tech Writing/Capstone class.
  • certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Do you or anyone else know when 2008 R2 content will be available on the Nuggets?

    I don't have a problem spending $199 a month (that will force me to pass those sucker in a sweet time frame). I just want to know when R2 will be available. .

    I have been watching since a year and I am not holding my breath for the updates. They have so many videos that need to be updated for R2. I would assume it will take them a while.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165
    certhelp wrote: »
    I have been watching since a year and I am not holding my breath for the updates. They have so many videos that need to be updated for R2. I would assume it will take them a while.



    Ohhhh kkkk....next questions.

    Has anyone used Nuggets for the MCITP:EA exams that were updated for the R2 exams? Are there major disconnects? If so, what other materials did you use to fill in the gaps?

    Maybe I'll talk to the Nuggets folks myself and see....I am gonna have to start this soon....
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely call CBT Nuggets and ask them, the more people ask for R2 content the more they might make it a priority.

    I would suggest starting with the 70-680 since there is a lot of material out there for that one.

    Free 70-680 Training here:
    Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

    The Nuggets course for the 70-680 was pretty good so if you purchase from nuggets and start there your time will be well spent while you’re waiting for them to update the other exams.

    You might also consider the Subscription option as I have done to get access to their entire library. You can use it for Exchange, VMware, SharePoint, etc. If you are committed you can get a lot of value out of that.

    Train Signal does give you the Transcender Exam prep which is now updated for R2 and that is proving to be a real edge for Train Signal right now considering the timing.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165
    Zillatech wrote: »
    Definitely call CBT Nuggets and ask them, the more people ask for R2 content the more they might make it a priority.

    I would suggest starting with the 70-680 since there is a lot of material out there for that one.

    Free 70-680 Training here:
    Professor Messer's Free Microsoft 70-680 Certification Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

    The Nuggets course for the 70-680 was pretty good so if you purchase from nuggets and start there your time will be well spent while you’re waiting for them to update the other exams.

    You might also consider the Subscription option as I have done to get access to their entire library. You can use it for Exchange, VMware, SharePoint, etc. If you are committed you can get a lot of value out of that.

    Train Signal does give you the Transcender Exam prep which is now updated for R2 and that is proving to be a real edge for Train Signal right now considering the timing.


    Ztech, I actually did follow your advice and I'm happy to report the following (nothing was bought, but it was a productive call):

    I spoke to a decent sales guy. He did not have to pull any hard sales tactics on me; told him that I wanted to buy the products, but I had concerns that the materials have not been updated for R2. He was very understanding and stated that the timeline was around 2-3 months for R2 material to be available, however he stated that the R2 material was not a "showstopper." I'm actually inclined to believe that, as Nuggets and their instructors seem to be pretty solid. We spent a good amount of time talking and I was very grateful that he didn't give me the hardsell. He certainly has it in his mind to get folks to start moving on R2 content; I can promise you that.

    I dunno though...I have to see what's up, ultimately. Need to get CIW 1D0-435 out of the way. :)
  • pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I think the videos are well done with lots of information, but are ultimately useless. None of the sections they cover are ever covered 100% and they don't go in depth enough on the question of WHY and WHEN, it's all about HOW. They are nice intro videos, but you need to go deeper for real knowledge which means reading, self study, and labbing. If you're doing that then why waste time on the video? They are also not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, while books definitely are.

    I'm not trying to knock CBT, I just think video is not a useful format for in depth knowledge, its good for pushing general concepts and basic understanding in an easy to present way. I can eat popcorn on the couch watch CBT videos. I need to focus and have quiet to read Cisco material.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165
    pert wrote: »
    I think the videos are well done with lots of information, but are ultimately useless. None of the sections they cover are ever covered 100% and they don't go in depth enough on the question of WHY and WHEN, it's all about HOW. They are nice intro videos, but you need to go deeper for real knowledge which means reading, self study, and labbing. If you're doing that then why waste time on the video? They are also not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, while books definitely are.

    I'm not trying to knock CBT, I just think video is not a useful format for in depth knowledge, its good for pushing general concepts and basic understanding in an easy to present way. I can eat popcorn on the couch watch CBT videos. I need to focus and have quiet to read Cisco material.



    That is a very fair assessment; but in all honesty, a lot of cert-prep material isn't very in-depth, be it books, videos or classrooms (for whatever cert you're going for). The "in-depth" books are gonna come from stuff like the "Unleashed" series, for example.

    Maybe the Cisco-prep is a bit more in-depth...but it would have to be.
Sign In or Register to comment.