Options

"Contacting the Server for Information" ??

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
Hi Guys,

Some users in my company get this message when just clicking through emails, or switching between folders in outlook 2007 or 2010. It happens randomly. The pc's are kind of old, but this just started happening around 2 weeks ago.
Any help would be much appreciated.
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    What version of exchange are you on and how big are the users mailboxes?
  • Options
    waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    What version of exchange are you on and how big are the users mailboxes?

we are on excahnge 2010, the size of the mailbox is not too big.
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I should have also asked what version of outlook they were running. I have seen this primarily with Outlook 2003 connecting to Exchange 2003. In essence, between the client and the server, the MAPI connections are slower than the client can digest. I mention outlook 2003 because it uses UDP connections for exchange, and outlook 2010 just started supporting UDP after a certain patch level and one of their updates (Rollup 3 for Exchange 2010 SP1) specifically addresses Outlook 2003 speed in online mode.

You can also look at the obvious things like network speed, a gigabit minimum is what I would recommend.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check if people using images in their signatures which aren't on a shared location or something .. This is sometimes also caused by DNS.

We had someone who hotlinked attachments / pictures in an email (both in content and / or signature) in his mails but DNS didn't work properly so Outlook wasn't able to resolve the URL used properly.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p