Options

just a computer question

cliffjag1987cliffjag1987 Member Posts: 206
Hi everybody,

Ok.E.G.>I got a computer. Its 1.7 Ghz and got a 128 mb SDRam. Recently upgraded it to windows Xp with Sp1 from windowsMe. Ok performance of the computer went slow. Computer is starting up slow. I installed Norton 2005 , Autocad 2005 , Arcon ( construction program just like autocad 2005 ). The computer performance is getting slower and slower. Ok i am thinking about upgrading the Memory. But the question is till how much must i upgrade it. Do you think performance will be good if i add a 256 mb ram. or must it be more.

Note it is Sdram NOT DDR Sdram.

Comments

• Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I'd say 256MB is the minimum you want especially with Autocad. It just depends what you want to spend but I'd get 512MB (I've got that in my laptop and I'm thinking of upgrading).

EDIT: Here you go... check this article out: http://www.crucial.com/library/howmuch.asp
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Get rid of Norton, add as much RAM as you can afford (it matters little whether it is SDRAM or DDR ram....technically yes, most users never can tell).

SDRAM is relatively inexpensive (not as low as it once was, but reasonable) so add all that you can. Running CAD if you can get up to 1GB that would be great! Even 512MB will help you tremendously!

You can always look at the recommended RAM for each program you want to use and upgrade slightly higher than the highest amount (if possible).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    memory...must have maximum memory.....darn rimms cost too much...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    You will probably want at least 512mb to run Autocad. I wouldn't even want to run XP on 256, let alone a drawing program.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    And keep in mind that a good solid video card is a must for cad also, especially if you're doing anything 3D or doing any types of volume computations or modeling.