Is PMP Degree Worth it?

RonHammerRonHammer Posts: 5Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been researching and learning about PMP certification and it seems interesting. This exam guide style site has been particularly helpful for the details of the test (what it is, what's on it, etc), but it doesn't go too much into the basic question - is it worth it?

It seems like an expensive test, say $550, and it doesn't seem particularly easy either.

Do people here have experience with it? Is it worth it?

Thanks! :)

Comments

  • jtoastjtoast Posts: 226Member
    All I can say is that its one of the few certifications my current employer actually values. All of our project managers are required to have it within a year of moving into a PM position and before they are allowed to manage a project on their own.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Posts: 1,903Member
    It is probably the most valuable non-technical cert out there. The thing people look for most in IT guys (other than knowing how to do things) is our ability to track complex plans and projects.
  • N2ITN2IT Posts: 7,483Inactive Imported Users
    God I hope so!

    It's the only one I have interest in.

    Obviously experience is number 1, but piecing the framework, processes, and terminology together is critical.

    This may be the last certification I get.

    Knowing how to track activities, create high overview processes, and lock in deliverables are key.

    Out of all of my certifications, the one that has been the most helpful for me is project +, and that is childs play compared to the PMP.
  • GoldenKnightGoldenKnight Posts: 31Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    RonHammer wrote: »
    I've been researching and learning about PMP certification and it seems interesting. This exam guide style site has been particularly helpful for the details of the test (what it is, what's on it, etc), but it doesn't go too much into the basic question - is it worth it?

    It seems like an expensive test, say $550, and it doesn't seem particularly easy either.

    Do people here have experience with it? Is it worth it?

    Thanks! :)


    The PMP is one of the most valuable certifications out there for IT managers. Part of the reason for its value is because you have to already be experienced to take it. You have to meet rigorous hours of experience requirements, education hours, and you need to apply to take the exam, meaning PMI has to review your application and qualifications and give you a thumbs up before you are even allow to try to take it. Also, they audit applications so you can't lie about your experience. So I think the PMP is valuable because it represents that you have experience, not that you just passed the exam.
    Master of Science - Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts - Information Science, PMP Project Management Professional, CAPM Certified Associate in Project Management, MCP Microsoft Certified Professional, Six Sigma White Belt
  • powerfoolpowerfool Senior Member Posts: 1,623Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Beyond the cost of the exam, the PMP has significant prerequisite requirements.

    There is the PM experience components which is 4500 hours of PM work if you have a BS, and I think 7500 if you don't. All of this has to be documented down to the number of hours on a specific project within a month, including the type of PM work involved.

    Then, you have to have 35 contact hours of PM education, which is typically done through a week-long course. This can be hefty if you are worried about the cost of the exam.

    There is an alternative to the course though... PM PrepCast is just under $100, and is a series of PodCasts, PDF files, etc, that you can use to study. At the end, you take an exam and if you pass, you get a certificate validating your 35 contact hours.

    I just purchased it the other night. Despite wishing to take the Summer off from certifications, it appears that I will be doing PMP studying in June (second go around with studying), and VCP studying in July. I am determined to take August off, though; hopefully a real vacation will be had in August, and kids start back to school, so plenty of other chaos to deal with.
    70-346 [ ] 70-347 [ ] 70-533 [ ] 70-743 [ ] CCSP [ ]
    2018 Goals: MCSA Office 365 and MCSE Cloud Platform and MCSA 2016, (ISC)2 CCSP
  • newmovenewmove Posts: 108Member
    powerfool wrote: »
    Beyond the cost of the exam, the PMP has significant prerequisite requirements.

    There is the PM experience components which is 4500 hours of PM work if you have a BS, and I think 7500 if you don't. All of this has to be documented down to the number of hours on a specific project within a month, including the type of PM work involved.

    Then, you have to have 35 contact hours of PM education, which is typically done through a week-long course. This can be hefty if you are worried about the cost of the exam.

    There is an alternative to the course though... PM PrepCast is just under $100, and is a series of PodCasts, PDF files, etc, that you can use to study. At the end, you take an exam and if you pass, you get a certificate validating your 35 contact hours.

    I just purchased it the other night. Despite wishing to take the Summer off from certifications, it appears that I will be doing PMP studying in June (second go around with studying), and VCP studying in July. I am determined to take August off, though; hopefully a real vacation will be had in August, and kids start back to school, so plenty of other chaos to deal with.

    I don't think you can write the exam without having a degree(I might be wrong though), could someone please clarify?
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    newmove wrote: »
    I don't think you can write the exam without having a degree(I might be wrong though), could someone please clarify?


    PMP Requirements

    To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
    • A four-year degree (bachelor’s or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

      OR
    • A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.


    PMI PMP Credential | Project Management Institute
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    newmove wrote: »
    Muchas gracias!


    De nada...I have been at the PMI site many times.... icon_cool.gif

    I see myself wearing a PMP hat one day; just not now. icon_sad.gif But I agree with what everyone had stated, and I will look into Powerfool's post again to get that 35 hour education for ~$100. There is just no way I could sit for that exam now.
  • melisalimpyomelisalimpyo Posts: 2Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    All I can say is that its one of the few certifications my current employer actually values. All of our project managers are required to have it within a year of moving into a PM position and before they are allowed to manage a project on their own.

    yeah of course I do agree with you... But for me it's still worth it.

    Thanks
  • BoldsmithBoldsmith Posts: 11Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

    It is a interesting question. Yes PMP certification worth more. It helps you in manage projects at time and you gains more knowledge. You can except the excellent job opportunities. To know more about PMP certification visit to PMP Exam Prep Course: School of PM
  • zxbanezxbane Posts: 739Member
    I have some interest in the PMP eventually down the line myself, I am curious though, it seems like you have to have PM experience to sit the PMP exam, but I would think a lot of PM positions would desire the person to have the certification prior to being hired into a PM position. Doesn't this create a dilemma of how can you get the required experience to take the certification if you have to have the certification to get the position? Obviously not all PM roles will require the certification but I would think many do?
  • colemiccolemic Posts: 1,559Member
    As I see it, I would say that PMI thinks that the chicken/egg issue is the responsibility of the end user... it's on them to get the required experience.

    ISC2 and ISACA are the same way...
    Working on: CCSP, definitely, maybe. On the twitters: @mcole1008
  • datacombossdatacomboss Posts: 303Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    I have some interest in the PMP eventually down the line myself, I am curious though, it seems like you have to have PM experience to sit the PMP exam, but I would think a lot of PM positions would desire the person to have the certification prior to being hired into a PM position. Doesn't this create a dilemma of how can you get the required experience to take the certification if you have to have the certification to get the position? Obviously not all PM roles will require the certification but I would think many do?

    You can get PM experience without being THE PM it's about doing the tasks that are included in the PMBOK.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

    Arthur Ashe

Sign In or Register to comment.