Options

About to start my Cisco Journey

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
Hi! Thought I would post in here and meet the regulars. I'm about to start working on my CCNA for WGU. I got labsim and a network simulator from WGU then I picked up the Cisco press book and a few others. My plan of attack is CCNA, CCNA Security, Graduate, CCNA Voice and then may be CCNA Wireless.

I'm still deciding if I am going to buy an actual lab. I've been eying certificationkits (link on left). I know I probably can save some money putting it together myself and buying on ebay/cragislist. But with them you get all the the proper cables and IOS's. They quoted me right around $2,000 for a kit that would cover me all the way up to the CCNA Voice (minus a CUE board).

Well wish me luck and I'll probably be asking a lot of question soon. Thanks in advance.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What's in that $2000 kit? General consensus is to stay away from kits. They are generally overpriced and include older routers. In my case I decided to build my own. A few hours reading posts paired with a lot of Google searches allowed me to gain a lot of knowledge about the different router and switch models, cables required, cards, etc.
  • Options
    j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
    There are many, many, many topics on this site devoted to setting up home labs. Check the stickies and there are some links there.

Speaking of sticky. That is exactly where you are going in asking what to buy for your lab. Every lab is different based on what the end result is.

So, in short, browse the site, do a little research on the equipment, ask questions on the forum and profit. You will get answers.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    I echo what cyberguypr said. It would be interesting to know what's contained in that kit. For $2,000 you should be able to piece together a lab that should take you close to CCIE. Most kits are over priced, granted they include all hardware & cables. But by building a lab yourself piece by piece you really learn a lot more from the process. Plus the hardware usually ends up much cheaper then pre-made kits.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the Cisco journey! Hopefully I don't get beaten by you and Earweed to the finish line... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ill be done with wgu come next october. Just need to finiish java and ccna.
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    Two Cisco 2610XM 256/48 12.4 Routers
    One Cisco 2611XM dual Etherent 256/48 12.4 Router
    One 3550 Layer 3 Switch
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches
    One NM-4A/S Serial Module
    Two WIC-1T Serial Modules
    Two DTE/DCE back to back cables
    Six Power Cables
    Console cable kit
    Two Ethernet Crossover Cables
    Five Etherent Patch Cables
    Cisco NM-2V 2-Slot Voice/Fax Mod
    Cisco VIC-2FXO Two-port Voice Interface Card - FXO
    2 FXS Interfaces (RJ-11), allowing connections to basic telephone service equipment, keysets, and PBXes.
    Cisco CP-7940G IP Phone

Plus some training stuff, lab guide, and various other items. I know I'd need at least 2 phones for CCNA Voice (testing calling from one location to another), a CUE.

Actual price is around $1,500 with shipping not $2,000. That is not including another phone or CUE. I might build it myself, just makes me nervous - I just like the idea of everything coming from the same place.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    Two Cisco 2610XM 256/48 12.4 Routers
    One Cisco 2611XM dual Etherent 256/48 12.4 Router
    One 3550 Layer 3 Switch
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches
    One NM-4A/S Serial Module
    Two WIC-1T Serial Modules
    Two DTE/DCE back to back cables
    Six Power Cables
    Console cable kit
    Two Ethernet Crossover Cables
    Five Etherent Patch Cables
    Cisco NM-2V 2-Slot Voice/Fax Mod
    Cisco VIC-2FXO Two-port Voice Interface Card - FXO
    2 FXS Interfaces (RJ-11), allowing connections to basic telephone service equipment, keysets, and PBXes.
    Cisco CP-7940G IP Phone

Plus some training stuff, lab guide, and various other items. I know I'd need at least 2 phones for CCNA Voice (testing calling from one location to another), a CUE.

Actual price is around $1,500 with shipping not $2,000. That is not including another phone or CUE. I might build it myself, just makes me nervous - I just like the idea of everything coming from the same place.
    For $1,500 I'll be that place for you! We'd be helping each other out!

Seriously though - You could do it on ebay for almost half that price or even less.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sold on ebay/craigslist. Just did a quick search and added up the list I had - only about $900. I guess I'll be spending sometime researching everything I need.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the Cisco journey! Hopefully I don't get beaten by you and Earweed to the finish line... icon_lol.gif
    I wont be much competition. I'm not anticipating taking the CCENT before June.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.