Options

Access an access router

Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
Hi, well ok this may be a crazy question. I have a as2509-rj (AS1) access server. It can access up to 8 devices. What if i have more than 8, and i were to get another as2509-rj (AS2) with more devices hooked into this server. Could I access AS2 from AS1 and all of the devices that are into AS2. If yall need me to clarify I will. Thanks
Studying For:
B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
Network+
Currently Reading:
CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Technically you could, but it seems a bit pointless. If you can just hook the access servers up to a switch and give them different IPs, you can go direct rather than messing around.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    RickRandhawaRickRandhawa Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Patel128 wrote: »
    Hi, well ok this may be a crazy question. I have a as2509-rj (AS1) access server. It can access up to 8 devices. What if i have more than 8, and i were to get another as2509-rj (AS2) with more devices hooked into this server. Could I access AS2 from AS1 and all of the devices that are into AS2. If yall need me to clarify I will. Thanks

You could also sell it and grab a as2511-rj which holds 16 devices. Might be a cheaper option to go this route, though more time consuming initially.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In addition to trading up to a 2511, there's also the NM-16a and NM-32a modules that can turn any router with an NM slot (2600, 3600, 3700, etc.) into an access server. The nice thing about that is if you have a router with multiple NM slots, you can put a NM-16a in one, and an NM-8a/s in another and use it as both a frame relay switch and an access server. The fewer devices you have running the better, right?
  • Options
    My set up right now if i add another switch or router id have to get both a new term server and a nm-8a/s. Since i am just studying for icnd1 and 2 i think my current setup should suffice for both.

Equipment:
    (3) 2610XMs with WIC-2T and WIC-1DSU-T1
    (1) 2620XM with WIC-2T and WIC-1DSU-T1
    (1) 2611 with NM-4A/S
    (3) 2950 EI
    (1) AS2509 RJ
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    You have more than enough gear to get you through CCNA. Nice lab by the way.

On a side note, and just my opinion. If you plan on splitting the tests, it seems more efficient to focus on each separately. If you focused solely on ICND1 I feel like you could get it before the summer.
  • Options
    Thanks and Yeah, that is what I am planning on. I am going to do ICND 1 this summer and probably next summer do ICND 2. Since I am in college and doing summer school and whatnot I think i would be better do splitting the test. By doing so I would renew my CCENT when i take the ICND 2 next summer correct?
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading: