Options

Basic questions for Win 2003 server

canaancanaan Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello there,
I'm new to Windows 2003 server(SB version). I'm setting a network for 30 employees in one location. I started to set up users under the Server Admin. utility.

1- My question is do I need also to set them in Active Directory?? I'm guessing in our stiuation(one location and one server) there is no need to use Active Directory??

2- Also, what's the purpose of client computers?? should the client computer id match the computer's name??

Please advise.
Canaan.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By SB do you mean Small Business? If it is Small Business my guess is you are already running AD. Look under AD Users and computers and see if you can find the accounts you already created.

I don't use the Server Admin Utility. I use the regular Administrative tools. I'm guessing by client computers you are creating Computer accounts for the PCs. So yes the account name should match the PC name.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    canaancanaan Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes it is Small business server. But I don't see the users under Active Directory. I can only seem them under users in the server management utility.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you see the OUs (folders) listed in Active Directory? Do you have one named MyBusiness with another folder called Users. Look in that users folder and see if you can find the user accounts.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete