Options

Appears just another bug

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
http://rapidshare.com/files/454632175/Orn.pkt

I created a topology which is linked above, on Packet Tracer 5.1 on my own. Topology contains RIPv2 routing protocol with discontiguous structure. Including on one end 172.16.20.0/24 network and the other 172.16.30.0/24 without distinct VLANs.

Succeeds : Except pinging and using telnet from or to switches, even telnet connection is working. (From every host to other
part of the network(s))

Fails : What im trying to do is pinging and telnetting into each switch, however, it has not been successful yet. i configured vlan 1 over each switch and assigned IP addresses to them by attaching them to PCs on vlan1
can not find where i fail.
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thedrama wrote: »
    What im trying to do is pinging and telnetting into each switch, however, it has not been successful yet.

PC 1 to sw1 worked for me
    Packet Tracer PC Command Line 1.0
    PC>ping 172.16.20.252

Pinging 172.16.20.252 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from 172.16.20.252: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=255
    Reply from 172.16.20.252: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=255
    Reply from 172.16.20.252: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 172.16.20.252:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms

PC>telnet 172.16.20.252
    Trying 172.16.20.252 ...Open

User Access Verification

Password:
    sw1>

Same with PC8 and sw2 -- it worked (at least I got prompted for the telnet login to switch 2 but I got bored and wondered off....)

Can you be more specific about what you did that didn't work?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here's what I'm getting in Packet Tracer 5.3.1:

From the devices on S1: I can ping and telnet into S1, ping every other host on S1 and S2, ping both interfaces on R1 and R2, but not ping or telnet into S2.

From the devices on S2: I can ping and telnet into S2, ping every other device on S1 and S2, ping both interfaces on R1 and R2, but not ping or telnet into S1.

I can also telnet into S1 from R0, but not from R1, and I can telnet into S2 from R1 but not from R0.

I don't see any error in your configuration. For example, from any of the hosts attached to S1, you can ping every device on 172.16.30.0/24 except for S2. There are no ACL's in place blocking anything, so I think we have a Packet Tracer issue.

One more note, you have passwords set on every device but did not specify what they were. Fortunately I can get around those in Packet Tracer, but anyone else looking at your file might not know how.
  • Options
    ccnacertified2000ccnacertified2000 Member Posts: 27 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You need to set ip default-gateway on the switches. Thats the problem. Like any other device, it needs to know where to go for the next hop.
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    You need to set ip default-gateway on the switches. Thats the problem. Like any other device, it needs to know where to go for the next hop.

+1, I made the same slip-up with PT. Forgetting to assign a default gateway on switches. Took me a few minutes to isolate the problem. Once a GW IP was assigned *poof* everything worked instantly :)
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    First of all, im grateful to all of you because of your assistance in case of
    finding the solution.

In my topology, i can not reach each switch from remote networks, whereas, i can reach all other computers from remote networks. Main problem is related to switches.

What i succeeded "only" about switches was sending ICMP packets from computers residing at the same network and pinging from local router for that switch.

As i have read from your responds, why should i need default gateway for switches? (should i think identically with PCs?)

here is my passwords : only enable secret is "class" and others were given "cisco"
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    As i have read from your responds, why should i need default gateway for switches? (should i think identically with PCs?)

OK, picture this.

Sit down at PC0 and ping Switch2. The ping request first goes to Router0, then it goes to Router1, and finally makes it's way to Switch2. Switch2 then needs to send the ping reply. PC0 is not on it's local network, so where does it go? It has to first go to Router1, which should be it's default gateway. Then Router1 can send it on it's way and Switch2 doesn't care about the details at this point. The same logic would apply for PC7 sending a ping to Switch1.

The reason that pinging a PC on the other LAN worked is because the other PC is configured with a default gateway and knows where to send the ping reply. When you ping a switch's IP address, it is just another device on the local network. For any traffic originating from the switch (in this case, the echo reply), it has got to know where to send it (the default gateway) if the destination is not on the same local network.

And for anyone else encountering a Packet Tracer simulation with a password that you don't know, go to the Config tab for the device, then click on any of the interfaces and it'll put that device in configuration mode, bypassing the password prompt.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    OK, picture this.

Sit down at PC0 and ping Switch2. The ping request first goes to Router0, then it goes to Router1, and finally makes it's way to Switch2. Switch2 then needs to send the ping reply. PC0 is not on it's local network, so where does it go? It has to first go to Router1, which should be it's default gateway. Then Router1 can send it on it's way and Switch2 doesn't care about the details at this point. The same logic would apply for PC7 sending a ping to Switch1.

The reason that pinging a PC on the other LAN worked is because the other PC is configured with a default gateway and knows where to send the ping reply. When you ping a switch's IP address, it is just another device on the local network. For any traffic originating from the switch (in this case, the echo reply), it has got to know where to send it (the default gateway) if the destination is not on the same local network.

And for anyone else encountering a Packet Tracer simulation with a password that you don't know, go to the Config tab for the device, then click on any of the interfaces and it'll put that device in configuration mode, bypassing the password prompt.

hey dude, im admiring your struggle in case of being helpful.