NAT terminology

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Im struggling understanding WTF the difference is between:
Inside/Outside Local/Global.

Is there a handy dandy diagram that shows examples of which is which? As soon as I think I get it, i dont. icon_redface.gif

Comments

• JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This one gave me trouble when I was first presented with it as well.

You have to look at it from the prospective of a local user on the local network for it to make sense.

Inside local address: This would be the address of your workstation and all the other devices assigned IP address within your LAN.

Inside Global address: This is your globally route-able IP address that NAT provides the translations to and from.

Outside Global address: This is the destinations globally route-able IP address that represents a web server or a network on the Internet etc.

Outside Local address: This address is the IP of an outside host as it appears to you, the local user.

I will update this with a diagram when I can. I hope that helps. :)

NAT.png
    Lab on!
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thx. The inside local/global, i understand. The outside local and global read teh same to me.

I googled it and looked through all the images i could find, didnt see one that actually used all of these terms.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    Thx. The inside local/global, i understand. The outside local and global read teh same to me.

I googled it and looked through all the images i could find, didnt see one that actually used all of these terms.

Have you tried these?
    http://media.packetlife.net/media/library/32/NAT.pdf

http://academy.delmar.edu/Courses/download/CiscoIOS/NAT_Local%26GlobalDefined.pdf
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    MrRyte wrote: »

TYVM! That first link did it for me. Second link - meh...still gray. Sometimes I need to be explained in the simplest terms, like I'm stupid. FWIW, the Odom press book is the worst in trying to explain this to someone that doesnt already know it.
    JaCkNiFe wrote: »
    I will update this with a diagram when I can. I hope that helps. :)

NAT.png

Just caught your update - printed and saved. TYVM!
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.routeralley.com/ra/docs/nat.pdf

Here's a third reference-it always helps to have as many as possible to gain a more thorough understanding of the subject.icon_study.gif

Also; that website has a ton of more info on other CCNA/CCNP subjects as well. icon_thumright.gif
    Router Alley - Guides
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154