Server PSU is "mooing"

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
icon_lol.gif Yeah, you read that right. It's silent otherwise. Every 5 or 6 seconds it goes "moooo". Think it could be the fan bearings? Is it safe to replace a CPU fan? I've got a bunch of extra fans, but I'm not sure if I should attempt to repair it (or even if any of them are the right size). Compressed air didn't work.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Mine was doing the same thing a while ago. Until I took an air compressor to it and just blasted the thing. That seemed to fix it.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I wouldn't try replacing the fans in them things, the capacitors in the PSUs will still store a fair amount of charge and will give you a nice shock if you go anywhere near them.

For the price PSUs are these days I'd just cut your losses and get a new one.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try compressed air again and see if that might help. I've got another almost brand new PSU but it's very, very loud.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you know how to discharge a capacitor or understand the theory of component electronics I recommend just getting the replacement power supply. that is if the Air does not work.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    It's tough using the compressed air cans, because you only get about a dozen seconds out of them and then you have to wait for it to recharge. icon_lol.gif
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Unless you know how to discharge a capacitor or understand the theory of component electronics I recommend just getting the replacement power supply. that is if the Air does not work.

I know how to discharge a capacitor.

Just not safely. icon_lol.gif
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    When I got my first job as a hardware tech, one of the senior techs showed us the wrong way to do it. The PSU arced and sent his screwdriver flying across the room. Scared the piss out of me while this guy laughed his ass off about it. Needless to say I never tried anything so foolish.