CCNA Official Exam Certification Library Wendell Odom

EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
I'm currently using the following materials for my CCNA study:

4 CCNA Exploration books - this is for the CCNA Academy course which is part of my degree.

CCNA Study guide - Todd Lammle

I don't think either of these two books are going to be ideal for ICND1 and ICND2, so I'm thinking of purchasing the ICND1 and ICND2 books by Wendell Odom. I've found a box set on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after, perhaps somebody could help me.

I could go through each book a week or two before taking ICND1/ICND2, makes it easier than trying to filter through the other books in preparation for the exams.

Here is the link.

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wendell Odoms Library set coupled with Netacad curriculum is what I used. I'm almost ready for ICND2 but I've already passed ICND1. These resources as well as packet tracer and a lab are what I learned from.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Sounds good to me. The CCNA Exploration books are perhaps a little too in depth for CCNA -- at least that's the impression I get. Don't get me wrong, I think the Exploration books are great, just perhaps not so great if you are taking the 2 exam route.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Eildor wrote: »
    so I'm thinking of purchasing the ICND1 and ICND2 books by Wendell Odom. I've found a box set on Amazon but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after, perhaps somebody could help me.

Mr Odom ICND1 & 2 books are great stuff. His ICND 1 book helps to clear my confusion on IP Subnetting and to calculate them mentally and pretty quickly. icon_thumright.gif
    Thats the way I felt about it too. But I saw that as a plus because I learned MORE than just with using the book. I learned more commands to use than were in the books to troubleshoot issues.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I have Odom's ICND1 book, and while thorough, I find it FAR too wordy and obtuse. For example, i was having trouble understanding the difference between inside/outside local/global - so i went to his book to hopefully better understand. He way overcomplicated it...and i find that for most things. Some things need details, some dont.

I started studying a few months back with cbt nuggets, and i found it was a much better resource to learn the principles. After i had watched them all a few times, i started my bookwork...and hate it. I cannot watch any of the videos he put out. If you're learning subnetting, i suggest the cbt nuggets first.

It seems like most people here like Odom's book, even prefer it, it just doesnt match up to me very well. I realize im probably the weirdo though.
    brad- wrote: »
    I have Odom's ICND1 book, and while thorough, I find it FAR too wordy and obtuse. For example, i was having trouble understanding the difference between inside/outside local/global - so i went to his book to hopefully better understand. He way overcomplicated it...and i find that for most things. Some things need details, some dont.

I started studying a few months back with cbt nuggets, and i found it was a much better resource to learn the principles. After i had watched them all a few times, i started my bookwork...and hate it. I cannot watch any of the videos he put out. If you're learning subnetting, i suggest the cbt nuggets first.

It seems like most people here like Odom's book, even prefer it, it just doesnt match up to me very well. I realize im probably the weirdo though.

I find the CBT Nuggets videos far too lacking when it comes to studying for CCNA. I suppose it might be a good additional resource to use, but definitely not a main source for CCNA study. I don't think any video series out there covers all of the CCNA material, it's just too much. I did find the CBT Nuggets videos on subnetting good though.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Eildor wrote: »
    I find the CBT Nuggets videos far too lacking when it comes to studying for CCNA. I suppose it might be a good additional resource to use, but definitely not a main source for CCNA study. I don't think any video series out there covers all of the CCNA material, it's just too much. I did find the CBT Nuggets videos on subnetting good though.
    Agreed. CBT's were amazing to get started from zero, and great at teaching subnetting, but there isnt quite enough in there to feel test ready. Conversely, the Odom book makes me feel like there is too much information to ever be test ready.
    brad- wrote: »
    Agreed. CBT's were amazing to get started from zero, and great at teaching subnetting, but there isnt quite enough in there to feel test ready. Conversely, the Odom book makes me feel like there is too much information to ever be test ready.

Haha, try the 4 CCNA Exploration books icon_lol.gif I see what you're saying. I'm hoping that the two books by Odom will be just right. I'll have read the 4 CCNA Exploration books first (read the first two so far), so I'll just be using it to refresh my memory before taking the exams. Aim is to get ICND1 and ICND2 done by September/October if possible.
    Received the books today :) Looking forward to going through them in a few months once I've completed CCNA Exploration.
    The way I studied was to study a module and read a chapter. Though they don't really overlap and the chapters in the exploration curriculum aren't "in sync" with the chapters in the book