interested in building a website to sell goods

blackberryblackberry Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
i have been selling shoes on ebay, there fees are going to increase starting april 19th. I am interested in building a website and would like to get tips, info, suggestions on this journey.

I am looking at Web Hosting Services : Shared Web Hosting Plans : 1&1 Internet Inc.

for hosting and domain name purposes. Does anyone have experience with taking payments from credit cards? Is paypal a safe bet to go with?

Comments

• mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I don't have any experience with that particular host, so not much help there.

Like a legit official shoestore? Zappos or something?

I would think the upkeep would be far too great if your just selling here and there (especially w/ advertising costs, etc.) compared to the simplicity of ebay. They can't just Google "cheap shoes" and get to your website. Unlike ebay, unless you really want to be a Zappo-type, you'll never get to the top of the results.

Paypal is definitely easy. You can create individual product buttons that will add to their Paypal cart, and then they can "check out" w/ Paypal.

CC's..not so much. I think they require Verisign and some other official stuff (I would hope at least, lol).
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally use 1&1 for my web hosting but don't have an online store through them. About 5+ years ago I played around with Yahoo's store and found it very easy to set up, and it comes with the shopping cart built-in. Check it out!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS