Options

70-680 Without Studying

AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
I have my 70-680 exam scheduled for tomorrow and I really haven't had any time to study for it at all. I've worked with Windows 7 in an enterprise environment since it came out.

Think that'll be enough to pass this?

We'll find out tomorrow.

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Without knowing about the details of win 7 experience and your general IT background, it is difficult to say. You could take a practice test (free or paid) and check how you do.

Of course, you can reschedule too. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I've worked with Windows 7 in an enterprise environment since it came out.
    Although it can make all the difference to have actual experience, it's hard to even guess based on that general comment whether your experience will be enough to pass the exam. It depends a lot on whether you have experience with the features listed in the exam objectives a.k.a Skills Being Measured. If you do have study material such as the MS training kit or another book I suggest reading a few chapters on either the newer features or the topics you are less familiar with.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    You might be in for a big shock.
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    newmove wrote: »
    You might be in for a big shock.
    +1
    If not pres-book and labs, I sure I been failed my exam... (in IT ~2y.)
  • Options
    I feel like I have general knowledge of all the skills being measured but I'm sure that I'm lacking a few of the specific details of some of them which could do me in.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'm actually taking 72-680(student cheap version) and it's being paid for by my job with a free retake through MS if I find that I need to study for it.

I know that I have access to all of the skillport training for it but haven't had a chance to go through that at all.

Either way I'll report back with how it turns out for me tomorrow.
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Agreed with newmove. I thought the same, considering we use 7 at work and I use it at home and have been using it at home since Beta... Thought I was familiar with pretty much everything. There were a lot of things on the exam I didn't have a clue about. Finally passed it after the third attempt though... Not trying any more client exams like that.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    even if you wing this exam. i can definitely see you having a harder time studying for the other windows 7 exams.

but good luck though and let us know how it went.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Even with on the job experience, I doubt you can pass this exam without having studied for it. Your biggest showstopper will probably be creating custom installation and unattended install images. That's what kicked my ass, even with intensive studying.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    Even with on the job experience, I doubt you can pass this exam without having studied for it. Your biggest showstopper will probably be creating custom installation and unattended install images. That's what kicked my ass, even with intensive studying.

That's one of the sections that I feel most comfortable with since I at one time researched and started using them to image hundreds of computers at my work.

I'm sure there will be one if not more sections that kick my ass though.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel like I have general knowledge of all the skills being measured but I'm sure that I'm lacking a few of the specific details of some of them which could do me in.

The details are what's important on this exam. You need to be able to sift through the filler and find the nugget that helps you find what M$ wants done their way.
  • Options
    Well, just got back from the testing center with a PASS icon_cheers.gif

945!

So that just goes to show that it's possible if you actually work with most of the features on a day to day basis.

Now to figure out where to go from here in terms of certifications..
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    Akaricloud wrote:
    If you also work with servers in that enterprise environment you could continue with Microsoft exams and go for MCITP.
  • Options
    JaCkNiFeJaCkNiFe Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, just got back from the testing center with a PASS icon_cheers.gif

945!

So that just goes to show that it's possible if you actually work with most of the features on a day to day basis.

Congrats!!
    Lab on!
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

If you also work with servers in that enterprise environment you could continue with Microsoft exams and go for MCITP.

I'd like a MCITP: Enterprise Administrator eventually but as I'm quitting my job and moving soon I think I want something to put on my resume sooner than that.

Right now I'm looking at these two:
    1. MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    2. MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

#2 Would probably help me find another temp job while in college still easier yet #1 will probably mean more in the long run to me.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a solid score, nice work! You could do the 686 next and get the EDA:7 and the 685 to get the EST:7. The 680 works as your elective for the MCITP: EA, too
  • Options
    tecjohnsontecjohnson Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man, if I study hard for this test and fail I am going to feel like a dummy.