Is it me? Or Is this book for ROUTE Confusing?

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

At the moment I'm studying for the CCNP - ROUTE exam and I'm reading this book:

Amazon.com: CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide (Exam Certification Guide) (9781587202537): Wendell Odom: Books

I don't know if it's me and I'm just dumb and clueless, but I find myself reading each page or paragraph 3-4 times before I can even understand a little bit of the info. on that given page. I find the wording and descriptions a little confusing. Is it me or does anyone else here feel the same?

I'm waiting for this book to arrive:

Amazon.com: Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Foundation Learning Guides) (9781587058820): Diane Teare: Books

Apparently everyone recommends this book from what I have read and asked before, compared to the OCG.

Any thoughts? Am I just a tard?
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I felt the same way as you. Bought the FLG and it is much better written.
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm probably one of the rare who loved the Wendell book! Haven't read the FLG but so far the 2 books i've read from Odom was just superb IMO and english isn't my native lang

It's probably just a question of wording, not everyone like the same authors
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like both books. Although I think the Teare book goes into too much depth to be the first book you read for ROUTE.

You might also want to check out the Sybex book

Cisco Network Professional's Advanced Internetworking Guide (CCNP Series) - Book Information - Sybex

It doesn't cover any of the exams, but it's meant to be CCNP level and for me it is written a lot better than any of the Cisco Press books.

If you're interested, don't buy it from the Sybex link - there are better discounts elsewhere
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    haha, i feel your pain mate. ive just picked up this book (yet again) and are finding it very confusing and hard to follow. Theres times when you need depth and theres times when you need to get to the bloomin point. This book for me misses that. I really enjoyed his ccna working too but for me, its been difficult to follow and keep concentration as a result (hence why im on here now :D )
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey there is a reason cisco publishes two flavors icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    I'm struggling with this book too. It probably is just a case of getting used to his writing style. My biggest problem with it are references to diagrams that are over the page. Might sound trivial but it's hard to take in a paragraph and have to keep turning the page to see the diagram it refers to!
    Luckily for me, I never use the books as my main method of study; I find it hard to learn from text. I tend to go through the book to fill in the gaps and consolidate the knowledge picked up in the Cbt and practical studies. A friend at work has loaned me the BSCI authorised self study guide (Diane Teare) I find this a much better read and The majority of the topics won't have changed.
    So if you've already bought the OCG and don't want to spend to much more money, I'm sure the BSCI books can be picked up for a reasonable price.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok, now I feel better reading through the replies. I thought out of the blue I had developed a "Cisco" learning disability. I used Odom's Cisco Press books for the CCNA 802 exam and I didn't have a problem reading his books, but for some reason I'm having trouble understanding his material in the ROUTE book. Luckly when I got home today from work, I saw a package on my door. I opened it and it was my Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) FLG book!

I started to read the EIGRP section and right off the bat, the reading is much smoother and much easier to understand. The book is also thicker than the OCG. I will definitely use both books for the ROUTE exam, but my primary one will be the Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) book.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chris_ wrote: »
    My biggest problem with it are references to diagrams that are over the page. Might sound trivial but it's hard to take in a paragraph and have to keep turning the page to see the diagram it refers to!.

This is so true, unfortunately!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If you're not sure which book to go with for ROUTE, packetlife.net has a pretty good comparitive review of the two books. CCNP ROUTE: Official Study Guide or Foundation Learning Guide? - Packet Life
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    Chris_ wrote: »
    I'm struggling with this book too. It probably is just a case of getting used to his writing style. My biggest problem with it are references to diagrams that are over the page. Might sound trivial but it's hard to take in a paragraph and have to keep turning the page to see the diagram it refers to!
    Luckily for me, I never use the books as my main method of study; I find it hard to learn from text. I tend to go through the book to fill in the gaps and consolidate the knowledge picked up in the Cbt and practical studies. A friend at work has loaned me the BSCI authorised self study guide (Diane Teare) I find this a much better read and The majority of the topics won't have changed.
    So if you've already bought the OCG and don't want to spend to much more money, I'm sure the BSCI books can be picked up for a reasonable price.

i couldnt agree more. Shame as the CCNA series was excellent.

• mikka1984mikka1984 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Trying to crack ROUTE myself, I love Wendell's CCNA books, but since ROUTE goes a lot deeper you get a lot of waffling in there. I stop trying to understand it on the first go, just go through the chapter a few times and you will be able to grab all the key facts. I use a marker extensively to highlight whats important and ignore the rest. Plus makes it easier if you try to implement the solution in the lab without even understanding the concept fully. If you complement this with Jeremy's nuggets as well it makes a lot more sense and a lot easier to read. Although everyone is different in their approaches. Just my 0.02
  • bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i too am struggling with this book, ive ordered the foundation one which will hopefully be a bit better to read and take stuff in. Currently just using the cbt nuggets to learn which is alot more understandable!
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be sure to check your version and errata for the OCG, it is filled with numerous errors (often huge conflicting ones) and it can cause you to become confused between some of the conflicts.

An example is in the version 2 print as they are explaining authentication chains in EIGRP, it will say in a config checklist that Key chain names do not need to match while in a key topic description it will say they do have to match. There are lots of these types of errors throughout the book as well as missing elements in the figures and incorrect commands listed in the examples. So if you run into an issue where you are doing a double take, make sure it is not due to an error.

Other than that, the book is alright and good for a refresh after you have gone through the foundations book. He does a good job of organizing the topics in the end of each chapter to help with memory of concepts as well as getting you to think in a planning and implementation mindset.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    viper75 wrote: »
    Am I just a tard?

Yes but that's besides the point j/k icon_lol.gif

The FLG is a great book, Its well written and very well laid out. It moves a little slower and more thoroughly through the topics which has helped me grasp them better. I unfortunately didn't find out about the FLG until after I purchased all the OCG's. So my advice is to use a site like half.com and purchase the FLG library and be done with it.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I'm the same way when I did my switching part, I find myself doing some topics 3 - 5 times, the best approach is knock the lab first and video, then do the books...
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bomber456 wrote: »
    i too am struggling with this book, ive ordered the foundation one which will hopefully be a bit better to read and take stuff in. Currently just using the cbt nuggets to learn which is alot more understandable!

spam or a free advert for cbt

icon_sad.gif
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    mikka1984 wrote: »
    Trying to crack ROUTE myself, I love Wendell's CCNA books, but since ROUTE goes a lot deeper you get a lot of waffling in there.

That's actually always been one of my primary complaints with the CCNP. The routing exam is so incredibly loaded that it's almost not fair. They try to cram enough information into you about everything in such a short period of time, that retention can be difficult. They really should split the ROUTE exam into seperate topics. The IGP's alone merit their own exam, everything else it covers should go into it's own exam.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    spam or a free advert for cbt

icon_sad.gif

Notice the referral code in the URL. icon_thumright.gif
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I found the CBTnuggets and the Cisco ones, Video mentor really got the basic through my head. Helped the reading along. I would also recommend you toss Network Warrior onto your list of reading for this exam.
    -Daniel
    so do you think cisco will refund me on the OCG ive shelled out for so i dont have to spend an extra £45 on the FLG????? :D

nel wrote: »
    so do you think cisco will refund me on the OCG ive shelled out for so i dont have to spend an extra £45 on the FLG????? :D

Doubtful, but you could throw the book up on half.com to recoup some of the money.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I found the CBTnuggets and the Cisco ones, Video mentor really got the basic through my head. Helped the reading along. I would also recommend you toss Network Warrior onto your list of reading for this exam.

I have never used or seen the Network Warrior book. How good is this book for the CCNP? I did a quick search on the book, and it says it good for the CCNA.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    viper75 wrote: »
    I have never used or seen the Network Warrior book. How good is this book for the CCNP? I did a quick search on the book, and it says it good for the CCNA.

Network Warrior is the book you should read after you get your CCNA and before you start CCNP studies. It is the book that fills in the gaps of knowledge that you should have as a CCNA, but were not covered as objectives (so I've been told).

A new version of Network Warrior is due to be released very soon.

I took a look at the table of contents and immediately saw something I knew of, but had never LEARNED about.....SVIs. So yeah, it's definitely worth a read icon_lol.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    Network Warrior is the book you should read after you get your CCNA and before you start CCNP studies. It is the book that fills in the gaps of knowledge that you should have as a CCNA, but were not covered as objectives (so I've been told).

A new version of Network Warrior is due to be released very soon.

I took a look at the table of contents and immediately saw something I knew of, but had never LEARNED about.....SVIs. So yeah, it's definitely worth a read icon_lol.gif

Thumbs up on that one. What I love about Network Warrior is that the author gives you insight on troubleshooting and real world scenarios. Some of the worst situations you can face as a Network Engineer are when everything is configured properly and it still doesn't work. (Had that happen yesterday actually, ended up being an issue with the way our ASR was registering an SFP type) That's when you sort out the men from the boys...
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Doubtful, but you could throw the book up on half.com to recoup some of the money.

i was being sarcastic ;)

nel wrote: »
    i was being sarcastic ;)

I know, I've been up to my eyeballs in smartnet contracts so my brain was a little fried when I put that
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison