Options

Studying Log for 70-680

NoelMMNoelMM Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I just want to share what I will be experiencing on this journey for my first certification. I will post more tonight for my insight.

Book: MS Press 70-680

Lab: Win 7 64-bit with V-Box. (This should be enough right?)

Any suggestions to really enjoy studying is highly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    Did you read the sticky?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/42480-70-680-resources.html

As for enjoying studying, you could find a study mate. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Yes I did read the stick and will definately use it as I go along, supplemeting the book.

A study mate would be really awsome, although starting this log somewhat makes it more enjoyable by simply sharing my opinion and findings that might help some fellow test takers.
  • Options
    4-4-2011

Study Time: 1.5 Hours
    Material Used: MS Press Book, ProfessorMesser Video on youtube.

YouTube - Microsoft 70-680: 1.1 - Windows 7 Editions#

Topics learned today:

Minimum System Requirements(x86 and x64)
    Different Editions of Win 7
    Difference between editions and which and what features are included such as Aero, Domain Connection, bitlocker etc...
    Media used associated for installation (DVD, USB, Network Share through win PE and WDS)
    Basic Installation

Although I have pretty much grasped the concept for this chapter and have done numerous installations. I will try and do the labs tomorrow.

Hopefully I can cover a little more material tomorrow. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might also try Darril Gibson's book for the 685/686. It has some material that is helpful on the 680 exam, which requires some knowledge of servers and infrastructure.
    I also like the MS learning snacks, if you get too tired staring at endless pages.
  • Options
    4-5-2011

Considered purchasing CBT nuggets video, luckily one of my buddies have a copy, so I am mainly doing my notes through the video. I was comparing between my notes from just the book and with the video. It seemed that I am a bit more engaged watching the video and clicking with me a little more than the book at the same time my notes looked better from the video, it might be because I have read the material before but the visuals just made more sense, I will probably read the material and just run through it just to have an idea on the lesson, but generally I will be using the videos for this test.

Would just watching the video allow me to pass the test?
  • Options
    ampersandampersand Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NoelMM, I wasn't able to PM you, so I'll just post here.

I started studying for the 70-680 a little over a week ago. I'm reading the Microsoft Press book and supplementing it with CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal videos and the Sybex book.

...want to be study buddies? Please check yes or no. Oh, wait, this isn't middle school.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Noel, sent you a PM on your yahoo IM.
  • Options
    @ampersand: Yeah definately we can be study buddies. The more the better I suppose.

@bokeh: Sorry my YM is acting up didnt get any message.

Started a little late today, and a surprise visit from my east coast family, I should still be able to finish 1 video, Ill post my findings once im done.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Good luck with the 680. I'm working on it as well and just got started last week.

There's alot to wrap your head around in the deployment chapters. I've been using Norton Ghost the past 10 years, so this is quite a change.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    I agree with you about the deployment chapters, but like anything else as long as you make sure that you understand the material and apply it in practice, We should be able to get it(Hopefully).

I was speaking to a gentleman who works in the industry as a Sr. Admin for a big firm, he mentioned that they are always using 3rd party stuff for back up and restoring. It is still good to know though.

4-6-11

Watch halfway through video 3 or cbt nuggets about migration, should be done with this part today plus maybe video 4.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck Mate - The deployment and the topics around branch cache are burning my brain out ..

More over the Command line syntax's are a bit harder to remember ....icon_sad.gificon_rolleyes.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Good Luck Mate - The deployment and the topics around branch cache are burning my brain out ..

More over the Command line syntax's are a bit harder to remember ....icon_sad.gificon_rolleyes.gif

That is the worst part of the exam and you just brought back bad memories... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    steelness wrote: »

Oh by the way I am usuing 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 Self paced Training Kit, sticky notes and some for-chumps to test and learn. I also have a Windows 7 video tutorial which I am yet to watch.

Good luck for now

Don't mention using braindumps on here! Learn the material don't memorize a bunch of questions.
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Hey if there is any room for another Study Buddy, count me in. I am about at the same point you are with studying NoelMM.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."

• Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    How's the studying going? I had to take the exam 3 times before I passed!! I knew the material, but was psyching myself out in the exam room.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Hey everybody,

Sorry I havent been on lately, Basically im 32% in on the book and on the 4th video. Basically I just kept reading the book to know the terms and what not, then I watch the videos while taking notes. I am on the application compatibility section on the book and video 4 - creating a reference image on the CBT Nuggets video. I have pretty much understood the essence of Imaging and deployment for the most part(iirc, this part is really essential on the test, chime in please if I im worng). I pretty much breezed through disk management, although there were some new features that I have not seen before such as "Shrink". I was going to try and do the test real quickly but I decided to really understand the concepts and not just the material so that I will not be like a test where after I am done, just drop everything that I know sort of deal.

Lord Nikon: Yes you are welcome to join in definately but we have not really done anything. If you guys are interested maybe we can setup a
    chat time for everyone who wants to recap on some things. We can use YM or whatever we can use maybe something where we can watcht the videos together(Although Im not sure if that is legal).

Good luck to all test takers and those studying for this test!
  • Options
    Lord NikonLord Nikon Member Posts: 115
    Noelmm - sure. I often use Skype as my instant messager/call device for all the things I do.
    "This is our world now. The world of the electron and the switch; the beauty of the baud. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias. You wage wars, murder, ****, lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all.."