IT Certification Loans?

Brain HurtsBrain Hurts Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey TE,

Been lurking around here for almost a year and recently just joined in. Anyways, I just had a really silly question but wondering if someone here might know...

Does anyone know of any type of school loans that could be used for exam fees? Im finishing up on a few SANS courses and 2-3 exams that I was hoping to take is gonna break my sad sad wallet. Anyways, if you know of anything other than getting a personal loan or CC, please let me know.

Thanks all!

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Credit Card is not the answer, unless you plan on paying it off the same month (which it doesn't sound like you are). Paying 20+% interest on a "loan" is a ridiculous waste of money (and could damage your credit so it would come to bite you again when purchasing a house).

Doesn't SANS offer a degree now? If they are a school I would think that you could use student loans.

And when all else fails, trudge down to your local bank and see if they would give you a loan and what their interest rate would be. Then shop around and see if you can find a different bank or credit union that would beat it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you were in the military and received the GI Bill, you can get reimbursed for the cost of the exam.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I were you I would just get some certs like A+, Net+, and Sec+ then take some math and english classes while doing those certs then transfer the certs and the few classes in and you won't have an issue getting in. I have no previous college at all and am going in only with certs and its not an issue.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    If I were you I would just get some certs like A+, Net+, and Sec+ then take some math and english classes while doing those certs then transfer the certs and the few classes in and you won't have an issue getting in. I have no previous college at all and am going in only with certs and its not an issue.

Those certs are expensive and that won't help him pay for his SAN certs. Maybe work extra hours or ask a family member for help.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How about find a training school that is FAFSA eligible and go from there? If they cost is part of tuition then your golden. Down side would be you end up paying more in the end.
  • Brain HurtsBrain Hurts Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Credit Card is not the answer, unless you plan on paying it off the same month (which it doesn't sound like you are). Paying 20+% interest on a "loan" is a ridiculous waste of money (and could damage your credit so it would come to bite you again when purchasing a house).

Yes, you're right about that. That's why it's my last resort.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    And when all else fails, trudge down to your local bank and see if they would give you a loan and what their interest rate would be. Then shop around and see if you can find a different bank or credit union that would beat it.
    Yes, I actually got a approved for a low interest loan just recently. I think I might go that route.
    eansdad wrote: »
    How about find a training school that is FAFSA eligible and go from there? If they cost is part of tuition then your golden. Down side would be you end up paying more in the end.

Yes, I was actually looking into WGU. Looks very promising there. However, they don't have any GIAC certs in any of the classes. icon_sad.gif
    Armor149 wrote: »
    If you were in the military and received the GI Bill, you can get reimbursed for the cost of the exam.

I'm a civilian, unforunately.
    Anyways, thanks for the help, guys. It was worth a shot.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    M.S. ISA has a GIAC exam.