Options

CCNA or MCDST/MCSA

kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I ultimately want to end up in networking, but I need to land my first job since graduating in December. I have Net+ and Sec+(compTIA) now.

So do I go for the CCNA and hope its enough to get me hired or do I focus on the administration side of windows first, and hope that either the MCDST or MCSA will get me an entry level helpdesk job?
:study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I ultimately want to end up in networking, but I need to land my first job since graduating in December. I have Net+ and Sec+(compTIA) now.

So do I go for the CCNA and hope its enough to get me hired or do I focus on the administration side of windows first, and hope that either the MCDST or MCSA will get me an entry level helpdesk job?

It's always easier to train for technologies that interest you. It sounds like networking has caught your interest. With limited information on your situation, I say go for the CCNA.

Besides IMO you can earn more money faster going the Cisco route. I have seen a lot of contractors and even help desk employees with Cisco get absorbed into companies or higher level jobs positions with some frequency.

With MS certs I haven't seen as much career advancement.

That's just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    SamLea27SamLea27 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I say go for windows. with ur comptia certs i think you are already ahead of the CCNA and the windows will offer more diversity into your resume. you could always try some free courses and exams and things for a few and see which you are best at or more interested in, once you sample some of the field. try knowledgebuster is u want free practices tests i say. good luck!
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essentially the day I updated my resume with the MCSE I got a job. The job required the MCSA. Granted I moved on to something better pretty quickly but the monster/dice saved searches are looking for that. I'm sure the CCNA is something desired as well. I've found there are essentially two types of tech employers, the large company where you're hired to do one job and that's what you do (where the networking stuff would really benefit you) and the small shops who hire you to do one thing and end up rarely touching it and doing everything from desktop to server (usually windows) to cisco networking and phones.

With all that said chose the path you can afford and have the drive to study. If you can find something entry level let them know what you want to do and see if they will help you get there. If you're looking at MCDST I would say go to the Windows 7 certs instead. Most important stuff from XP works in 7 and I would guess most companies are going to want to switch this year (from my interviews with 5 different employers everyone said that was this year's project).

My results are totally unscientific and only reflect my experience. If nothing else call up a placement service in your area and see what they can do for you. Sure they sorta suck but at least it's work!
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    As I am fond of saying in these threads, if it is up to one or the other, do both. Especially with low level (yes, CCNA is a low level cert) certifications. Its impractical for someone to be a CCIE and a MCM in Exchange. I would be very surprised though, to find an MCM in Exchange that did not have a CCNA or a Linux cert.
  • Options
    kvermillion1kvermillion1 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I think since my interest lies mostly in networking and/or network administration, ill pick up the CCNA next (since I already have the labsim product) then move my focus to MCITP in Server Admin. (again since I already have the labsim products) and am running the virtual OS for each on my host PC!!
    :study: Certified: CompTIA Network+, Security+
    Up Next: CCNA, MCITP: SA(70-640,70-642,70-646)
  • Options
    mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with N2IT.. Considering the area you live in, I say go for CCNA, more bang for your buck around here. Those CompTIA certs alone will get you an entry level helpdesk job starting around 35 to 40K here in the Baltimore/ Washington D.C. area but a lot of companies are looking for Level 1 Network Engineers with CCNA starting around 55k to 60k. Can't beat that coming straight out of school.. but don't get me wrong, MCSA or MCSE will still look great I just think you'll take a greater salary increase with CCNA first
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."