I need help getting SDM to work - Windows 7

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
Does anyone know what it takes to get SDM working in Windows 7? I installed a very old version of Java, but I don't know if SDM is using it or my newer java. I've also tried to get it opening in IE, but it ignores my default program settings and opens in Firefox.

Right now I've got SDM opening in Firefox saying it will load in another window. It never loads.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Never mind. I got it working by taking the URL that opened in firefox file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/Cisco%20Systems/Cisco%20SDM/common/common/launcher.html?USEHTTPS=1?ROUTER=10.0.0.50 and using that in Internet Explorer. I'm logged into my 1721 with SDM now. Phew...
  • logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dude you will get it working but it won't work correct. Uninstall your current java version SDM will work correct only on JRE6 get it from Archive: Download Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) 6. This is from my own experience it might just work for you straight away
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I uninstalled every version of Java I had then installed JRE 6u3, which is the latest version of Java that SDM supports. Newer versions would run SDM, but certain functions like security audits and additional options wouldn't work for me. It also wouldn't push configs to the router.
    I really hate Java apps. Or I hate people who write Java apps and don't keep them updated, I'm not sure.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I uninstalled every version of Java I had then installed JRE 6u3, which is the latest version of Java that SDM supports. Newer versions would run SDM, but certain functions like security audits and additional options wouldn't work for me. It also wouldn't push configs to the router.
    I really hate Java apps. Or I hate people who write Java apps and don't keep them updated, I'm not sure.

This is true for me as well. Uninstall and install JRE6.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I got it working (including security audits) after finally getting an ancient version of java installed. Version 1.5.0 icon_lol.gif
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    ehnde wrote: »
    I got it working (including security audits) after finally getting an ancient version of java installed. Version 1.5.0 icon_lol.gif
    Can you get into Additional Task?

I ended up using XP mode, and it works like a charm there. The only thing I did was, installed the older version of Java in XP mode.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've made it work perfectly using these settings and activating _03 version when using SDM and switching it every time i use SDM. Actually version _03 seem to work good wherever i go, because it is still activated ;)

I didn't uninstall anything and you can have multi JRE version installed. _03 being the last version officially supported by SDM

(Sorry for the french screenshot)

ScreenShot093.jpg
  • klabbeklabbe Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was having problem with SDM and Java versions on my Win7. Ending up using CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional) instead, working really good for me...
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    klabbe wrote: »
    Was having problem with SDM and Java versions on my Win7. Ending up using CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional) instead, working really good for me...

The problem with that is that the CCNA Security (and many other certs) still requires knowledge of SDM, so using CCP isn't going to help a lot in that regard. Second, the list of supported routers for CCP is much smaller than the list of supported routers for SDM meaning most of the routers we have in our labs are out. I don't see any routers on the CCP list that can be run in GNS3, and I don't see anything equivalent to the SDM simulator that allows you to look around at all the options in SDM without connecting to a router.

If you stick with Java 6u3, SDM will run just fine on XP, Vista or 7.
  • klabbeklabbe Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SDM or CCP, I still think they kinda look the same. So if you get CCP to work and not SDM...It's not a big deal to find your way in the SDM if you used to CCP, atleast thats what I think.

I had alot of trouble with the java so I ending up trying CCP instead and it worked nice on my 1800 series routers.

Now I know witch java to use I will try that one. Thanks...