Options

MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7

ike12ike12 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI all

I am going to be buying the books soon for studying. I was wondering is the "normal" path for this certification taking the 70-680 then the 70-685?

Thanks

also, do the Microsoft books come with the labs and all? also do the books come with answer keys for the questions and are they corrct?

I just passd my Cisco ICND1 exam in January and I am hoping that the Cisco exam was much harder than this Microsoft exam. Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    NoelMMNoelMM Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe that the 70-680 is a prerequisite to the pro:70-685.

So 70-680==>70-685

I have the MS Press book for the 70-680 and CBT Nuggets video.

The MS PRess book does come with practice tests. MS offers virtual labs it should be under the resources as a sticky here.
  • Options
    tecjohnsontecjohnson Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NoelMM wrote: »
    I believe that the 70-680 is a prerequisite to the pro:70-685.

So 70-680==>70-685

I have the MS Press book for the 70-680 and CBT Nuggets video.

The MS PRess book does come with practice tests. MS offers virtual labs it should be under the resources as a sticky here.

Being a prerequisite is a little misleading...you can take 70-685 before 70-680 if you really want. (And i am told studying for the 70-685 helps pass the 70-680.)

However, you get a MCTS certification for 70-680...you don't get it for 70-685.
    also, do the Microsoft books come with the labs and all? also do the books come with answer keys for the questions and are they corrct?

The Microsoft Books come with suggested practice labs, yes. They also have answers for the questions....but there is a lot of mistakes in the answers. You can find the corrections here MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 comments and corrections
  • Options
    ike12ike12 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for that. So passing the 70-685 doesnt get me any sort of certification?
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    ike12 wrote: »
    Thank you for that. So passing the 70-685 doesnt get me any sort of certification?

You get the certification, just not the MCTS credential at least according to Microsoft's site http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsclient.aspx#tab3

I just passed my 70-680 exam as well and getting ready to take the 70-685 for the MCITP Credential at least. Glad you started this thread, I had the same questions.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to be taking the 70-685 exam in a few weeks... I bought the following from amazon:

Windows 7 Portable Command Guide: MCTS 70-680, 70-685 and 70-686

and

Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-685 and 70-686)

Both books written by Darril Gibson. For those of us who ordered his Security+ book know that he is golden
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    ODNation wrote: »
    I'm going to be taking the 70-685 exam in a few weeks... I bought the following from amazon:

Windows 7 Portable Command Guide: MCTS 70-680, 70-685 and 70-686

and

Windows 7 Desktop Support and Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-685 and 70-686)

Both books written by Darril Gibson. For those of us who ordered his Security+ book know that he is golden

Agreed. That Security+ makes you wanna buy every book he ever comes out with in the future. I know I will if I'm studying for the exam.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Darril Gibson's 685/686 book is great!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    qwismqwism Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□

Is this Book good enough to pass all 3 exams? 70-680/685/686? If not then what other book/books should i get to complement my studies to pass all 3 exams. I have this one currently on the way.

Has to be a book as the online stuff is expensive for me.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you'll need more than just Darril's book for all 3 exams. The MS press book for the 685 and 686 aren't bad, though I would supplement with resources on this site and technet.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    qwism wrote: »

Is this Book good enough to pass all 3 exams? 70-680/685/686? If not then what other book/books should i get to complement my studies to pass all 3 exams. I have this one currently on the way.

Has to be a book as the online stuff is expensive for me.

Darryl's book plus the 70-680 press book should be enough. Lab Lab Lab!! If you can watch the CBT videos, that may help as well.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup: