Ethernet Switched Network topology

yan myan m Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have to simulate an Ethernet Switched Network for a call center consisting of 5 departments.
the network should consist of 5 Routers, 15 PCs and 2 switches.
Each router must be assigned to a department.

i am getting some problems on getting the right topology for this network.

Comments

• hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225
    yan m wrote: »
    i have to simulate an Ethernet Switched Network for a call center consisting of 5 departments.
    the network should consist of 5 Routers, 15 PCs and 2 switches.
    Each router must be assigned to a department.

i am getting some problems on getting the right topology for this network.

Is that the total of information describing the topology? Normally, there will be a definition for hosts per site/department/router, interface definitions (LAN/WAN) defining inter-site connectivity, etc.

Based on the limited information provided in you post, I can tell you that the topology will require the use of multiple VLANs on both switches. The design goal/specification dictates how one implements the the final network.

IF the only specifications are as stated above, there is no right or wrong solution but regardless of your chosen implementaion it may not be acceptable to who ever assigned you this task because of the vagueness of the assignment.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
  • yan myan m Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Title : Implementing "Ethernet Switched Network" in a call center.
    The call centre has 5 departments and each department has a minimum of 3 users. The call centre has access to the Internet.

Using Boson Netsim Designer, build an Ethernet Switched Network consisting of 5 Routers, 15 PCs and 2 switches. Configure the Ethernet and Serial interfaces of each router and switch. At the end of the configuration ensure each device can ping those devices to which it is directly connected and that the show users and show hosts commands give correct output.

Other details: Each router must have the name of a department and each router configured with clock rate 64000. Creation of host table, using Static Routes and RIP

I am indeed quite confused at the vagueness of the assigned work. No specific details about topology to be used or use of VLANS were given. Confused.
  • Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    Doesn't make a great deal of sense, 5 Routers!! To route what exactly? You've only got 2 switches, so router on a stick or just 2 of the routers would suffice for any topology you could come up with!
    Designs are requirement driven, you choose your equipment and topology following an analysis of the clients traffic requirements. Not the other way round.
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]