Options

Is A+ worth getting now?

blueyedsamuraiblueyedsamurai Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So i bought a $5000.00 everything package 2 years ago, a+ n+ Microsoft, cisco ect.

I was about to go for the a+ test prior to the new one which focused on winXP, but got a tech support job and started working late and never got around to it, stupid of me after hearing the news about comptia.

Anyway,i put it off even when the new one came out(i thought once i took it id be life certified) the vendor i bought my study material from never notified me about the 3 year thing with comptia.

I could sit the test tomorrow but im not to keen on spending over $600 every three years, if not more if i slip up and fail and have to take it again.

From reading some posts security + is the most preferred cert?

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends on the jobs you are applying for and the perception of the person interviewing you. Some of the entry level PC technician jobs will favor the A+ (over the S+ for that matter). I doubt you would need to renew the A+, after you have a bit of experience you should be moving away from jobs that are A+ level.

My personal opinion is that it is better to obtain more specific entry level certifications such as the Desktop Support certs from Microsoft or the CCENT/CCNA from Cisco.

This topic seems to come up a lot, you might want to try searching the boards.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You spent 5000.0$ more than I did for my A+. That's for sure.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    blueyedsamuraiblueyedsamurai Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    You spent 5000.0$ more than I did for my A+. That's for sure.

it was a whole package, videos and books on a complete library of pretty much every certification
  • Options
    LoMoLoMo Banned Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are looking for Desktop Support/PC Technician style jobs, then yes.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+ is a great certification to have.

Well worth your time.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you really spend 5k? You must be rich....lol
  • Options
    gunmetalgr3ggunmetalgr3g Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What must be nice to drop 5000 on some test, I spent 60 bucks for some books,
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Ya 5k is a lot of beans. Where did you get this package from?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    gunmetalgr3ggunmetalgr3g Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Ya 5k is a lot of beans. Where did you get this package from?

craigslist......sorry I had to icon_jokercolor.gif